Which Schools Should I Apply To?

Brooke

Brooke
  • Applicant

Hey everyone,

I am currently working on my law school applications, but I am only looking to apply to schools across Canada that are focused on social justice, international law, human rights, immigration and refugee law. I've checked out all the websites for each law school. But, I want to hear from those currently in law or those who are well-versed with what the law schools offer.

What schools do you think I should consider looking into or applying?

Thanks in advance!

MSK2021
  • Lawyer

In terms of fulfilling your academic interests, probably Osgoode.

But really, unless you're already well off I would recommend opting for whichever school is cheapest / let you launch your career in the best possible financial position. Virtually every law school has a social justice focus and while some may offer deeper, specialized course offerings it's not clear to me whether the cost difference is worth for most people who end up / want to end up in the practice areas you have an interest in.

• Like 2

erin otoole
  • Lawyer

What's your LSAT and GPA? I would say apply to schools you have a slim to strong chance of getting into. I had no chance at Oz and UofT, so I didn't bother. I mean even Windsor and Rye high are focused on Social Justice and they are less "prestigious", but if that's all you can get into beggars can't be choosers.  

Edited by erin otoole

skooled
  • Law Student
On 10/18/2021 at 5:49 PM, erin otoole said:

What's your LSAT and GPA? I would say apply to schools you have a slim to strong chance of getting into. I had no chance at Oz and UofT, so I didn't bother. I mean even Windsor and Rye high are focused on Social Justice and they are less "prestigious", but if that's all you can get into beggars can't be choosers.  

Just curious, what made you have no chance at Oz or UofT? I'm currently in a dilemma as I don't know want to apply to Windsor but might as a back up. I might risk it and just not apply. I'm hoping to get into Queens, Western, Oz, UofT or Ottawa tbh. 

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
3 minutes ago, skooled said:

Just curious, what made you have no chance at Oz or UofT?

They have a thread doing an AMA as a Windsor Dual student, so take a guess...

erin otoole
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, skooled said:

Just curious, what made you have no chance at Oz or UofT? I'm currently in a dilemma as I don't know want to apply to Windsor but might as a back up. I might risk it and just not apply. I'm hoping to get into Queens, Western, Oz, UofT or Ottawa tbh. 

For the sake of $100 vs waiting another year for law school I always recommend applying to Windsor, even to kids with great LSAT scores and GPAs. I have a friend that claims she was above the Western and Queens stats but didn't get in so she's down at Windsor with me now. 

1 hour ago, CleanHands said:

They have a thread doing an AMA as a Windsor Dual student, so take a guess...

I was obviously well below the medians but no need to be an ass about it. 

• Like 2

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
2 minutes ago, erin otoole said:

Wasn't intending to be so in a manner directed at you, at least. You're the one who was honest and self-aware enough to write "I had no chance at Oz and UofT." I can respect that.

I definitely meant to be an ass to the guy I was replying to though, because the question was clueless.

Edited by CleanHands
  • Like 1

skooled
  • Law Student
3 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

Wasn't intending to be so in a manner directed at you, at least. You're the one who was honest and self-aware enough to write "I had no chance at Oz and UofT." I can respect that.

I definitely meant to be an ass to the guy I was replying to though, because the question was clueless.

You're being an ass for no reason lol. Nice justification weirdo. It was an innocent question I never clicked on his profile to try to find out myself. 

7 minutes ago, erin otoole said:

For the sake of $100 vs waiting another year for law school I always recommend applying to Windsor, even to kids with great LSAT scores and GPAs. I have a friend that claims she was above the Western and Queens stats but didn't get in so she's down at Windsor with me now. 

Yeah I think I'll apply cause you never know especially with cycles being so competitive. Thank you. 

• Like 1

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

I’m curious about what besides low stats could lead to someone having no chance at Oz or U of T? Was the theory that Erin O’Toole published raunchy AdComm fanfic about U of T’s and Osgoode’s deans of admissions under their real name or something? 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • LOL 1

Darth Vader
  • Lawyer

You should apply to U of T, UBC, McGill (if you are bilingual), Osgoode, and Ottawa. Can't get into these schools? It doesn't matter where you go. You should know that you're still competing with students from top law schools for public interest jobs. You want to have a good profile for when you apply to these positions, and if you're looking to work in the major cities, then it is helpful to attend law school in these cities.