Chances? Or is Law the Wrong Program? OLSAS cGPA 2.55, L2 2.78, B3 2.77; TRU L20 2.85; UoM AGPA 3; LSAT N/A

iamlaw

I am new to this forum, don't know where is the best place to post.

Hello,

How do I know if law school is right for me? I have only looked at TRU and UoM and is already not looking good. OLSAS cGPA 2.55, L2 2.78, B3 2.77; TRU L20 2.85; UoM AGPA 3. I already have my BA, so I am going to need to take courses as a non-degree to improve my gpa. The best I can upgrade to for TRU L20 and UoM AGPA is 3.3-3.4 even after replacing 8 C+ with 8 A. I haven't written any LSAT yet. If I want to try for law schools next year, I have to enroll in courses as a non-degree for 1 or 2 terms (summer+fall), write LSAT twice (Jan and one more time before application starts 2022), hoping to get a high 150. If the gpa doesn't work out, I will switch plan and apply for second degree bachelors (comp-sci) with the courses I have taken as a non-degree. I don't know if I should spend the time and effort to study for the LSAT. If I do, I want to apply this year as well for non-Ontario schools because I believe re applicants get an advantage.

Realistically, my TRU gpa and UoM AGPA can be 3.2-3.3 and LSAT high150 for next year. I haven't researched how the other schools gpa works. Any chance for any law school in Canada or should I just look for other programs?

Thanks Can Law Forum!

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

Unless you have an access claim or other extenuating circumstances, I would be surprised if you got into law school with an LSAT in the 150s. Take a diagnostic and see what your natural aptitude is. If you score very low, together with your existing grades, it may not be worth pursuing this particular path.

• Like 1

Just to add some context around your GPA and LSAT, I applied to  UofM last year with an almost identical AGPA (3.12) and a 166 lsat and was 144th on the wait list. Even this year with a 169 LSAT I still expect to be wait listed. I am not sure if you have taken an LSAT diagnostic yet but a high 150s LSAT is certainly not guaranteed and many people will simply never achieve that and though the test can certainly be studied for I do think sometimes this forum  gives a misleading representation of the average LSAT score. Regardless of that, if this something that you are truly passionate about then it would be foolish not to put the effort in and attempt to get into a Law School.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nagatoro said:

Just to add some context around your GPA and LSAT, I applied to  UofM last year with an almost identical AGPA (3.12) and a 166 lsat and was 144th on the wait list. Even this year with a 169 LSAT I still expect to be wait listed. I am not sure if you have taken an LSAT diagnostic yet but a high 150s LSAT is certainly not guaranteed and many people will simply never achieve that and though the test can certainly be studied for I do think sometimes this forum  gives a misleading representation of the average LSAT score. Regardless of that, if this something that you are truly passionate about then it would be foolish not to put the effort in and attempt to get into a Law School.

What is "AGPA"?

4 minutes ago, RC51 said:

What is "AGPA"?

University of Manitoba's GPA calculation, I think it stands for Adjusted GPA? but I have really never thought about that.

4 hours ago, Nagatoro said:

University of Manitoba's GPA calculation, I think it stands for Adjusted GPA? but I have really never thought about that.

Good luck, with your 169 have you considered us t30 schools?

colombianskiingteam
  • Applicant

@Nagatoro, have you already applied for U of M in this cycle? I'm trying to figure out what the metrics for this years accepted class ended up being. My AGPA is 3.4 but might get boosted to a 3.6 if I get a pending Withdrawal. 1st LSAT was 158, rewrote in October and waiting for my results but PT's were ~165-168.  Wanting to figure out what my odds are or if I should start applying to back up schools. 

@iamlaw

https://law.robsonhall.com/student-resources/admissions/statistics/

Check out the spreedsheets below the 'statistics' tab, it contains admissions records for the past 4 years. 

Cheers!

Edited by colombianskiingteam
Making it concise