Ontario Law School-Letters of Reference

Busta

Busta
  • Law Student

Does anyone know if Letters of Reference are due November 1st as well? I've submitted my application and sent the emails to my referees (old boss and professor) but I'm worried my professor has too much on his plate to submit my LOR by the deadline. Is that gonna kill my application?

skooled
  • Law Student

What helped me was sending them a reminder email because of the Nov 1 deadline, see where they are at. I think everything needs to be submitted by Nov 1.

LordBONSAI
  • Applicant

Don't know about other schools, but Queens allows your reference to be submitted after Nov. 1. The following is from their website:

As long as you have submitted your OLSAS application online by November 1, application materials such as letters of reference and transcripts can follow after the deadline.  All documents should be sent to OLSAS.

Your application will be considered incomplete if the law school doesn't have your reference letters. However, I don't think you will be rejected for that reason. It just means your app will not be processed first.

scooter
  • Law Student

Don't be afraid to follow up with your references and politely remind them about the approaching deadline, they won't be offended. Send a reminder today and another one next week if it's still not submitted.

Philosophy
  • Law Student

Same here. I told one of my referee's in late September that the letter was due Nov. 1 but I think she misinterpreted it as Dec. 1... 

Does anyone know if Osgoode allows slightly late reference letters as well?

scooter
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, Philosophy said:

I told one of my referee's in late September that the letter was due Nov. 1 but I think she misinterpreted it as Dec. 1... 

You still have a week to remedy this. Send them a follow up ASAP and emphasize that it needs to be completed this week or it will negatively affect your application. Also ask them to tell you ASAP if they are unable to complete the letter on time, so you at least know where you stand.

As for whether Osgoode accepts late letters, I don't know. I'll let someone else chime in there if they know!

Cruss
  • Applicant

Does anyone know how long it takes for OLSAS to receive your lsat? I’ve provided my id number last week but it still doesn’t show as received on the tracker.

LordBONSAI
  • Applicant
2 hours ago, Cruss said:

Does anyone know how long it takes for OLSAS to receive your lsat? I’ve provided my id number last week but it still doesn’t show as received on the tracker.

OLSAS says it doesn't process LSAT scores until after the Nov. 1 deadline. 

• Like 1

Philosophy
  • Law Student

Osgoode's response regarding late reference letters: 

"It is fine for third party documents to come in after the deadline.  OLSAS will accept them and then transmit to the schools."

VitalGiraffe
  • Law Student

I recently asked this question to some schools. Ottawa and Queen's both accept LORs after November 1st.

As others have said the sooner the better though because they consider your application incomplete until they get everything.