Undergrad student looking for advice

Ob16

Ob16
  • Law Student

Current undergrad student looking for input. On pace to have a 85% average after 2 years, assuming that 85% is my best 2 years, what is the lowest lsat score acceptable and an ideal score I should aim for? Interested in the smaller law schools in Ontario.

Also, what year of undergrad do most people start focusing in on writing the LSAT?

thanks!

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

You should aim for the highest score you can possibly get. I don't understand why people ask these limiting questions.

As for lowest, you're going to want at least a score in the high 150s to have a good chance at admission somewhere in Canada, although with a score in the mid-150s it would still be possible at the schools with lower entry standards.

I would also advise against aiming for "smaller law schools in Ontario" at this time when you still have 2 years of undergrad and an LSAT to go. I would be curious to know your reasons for restricting yourself in this way.

Darth Vader
  • Lawyer

What does smaller law schools in Ontario mean? Smaller class sizes or less reputable schools? If you have a 3.9 GPA, why would you aim for less reputable schools? If you're going to drop tens of thousands of dollars for law school, shouldn't you aim for the most competitive schools to have the best career prospects? 

Aim for McGill too if you are fluent or semi-fluent in French (brush up on the language if this is the case). The best time to focus on the LSAT and apply to law school is when you are ready. There isn't a magic answer here. A lot of people take time off before going to law school, as they work, travel, pursue a master's degree, start a family, reapply after not getting in the first time, etc. 

A more important question you need to ask yourself is, why law? What do you see yourself doing as a lawyer? is the debt manageable or even worth it? What are your alternative career options? Which law schools would help you best reach your goals, and what are the admissions requirements to get into them? Are you mentally prepared to handle the rigors of law school and the legal profession (emotional maturity, mental health in check, etc.)? 

Once you start law school, you will have no break other than maybe your first year summer. Your stress levels, competition, and responsibilities increase ten-fold the moment you step into law school. After law school, you will be focused on articling and bar exams and working non-stop to build your career. You only have a small window of time now to relax and enjoy life a little. If you are prepared to continue the non-stop grind and do not care about leisure or relaxation, then study for the LSAT and apply in your 3rd or 4th year (I recommend completing your undergraduate degree at least). 

Ob16
  • Law Student
52 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

You should aim for the highest score you can possibly get. I don't understand why people ask these limiting questions.

As for lowest, you're going to want at least a score in the high 150s to have a good chance at admission somewhere in Canada, although with a score in the mid-150s it would still be possible at the schools with lower entry standards.

I would also advise against aiming for "smaller law schools in Ontario" at this time when you still have 2 years of undergrad and an LSAT to go. I would be curious to know your reasons for restricting yourself in this way.

I probably should have specified the reasoning, I’m from a small town and prefer to study in a smaller city, I’m looking to apply to pretty much all schools other than the ones in Toronto. I currently go to a university with small class sizes, I believe my best chances to succeed academically would be outside of Toronto. 
Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.

Edited by Ob16

• Lawyer
2 minutes ago, Ob16 said:

I probably should have specified the reasoning, I’m from a small town and prefer to study in a smaller town, I’m looking to apply to pretty much all schools other than the ones in Toronto. 

This doesn't make a lot of sense. Is there a law school in your hometown where you can live at home? Otherwise, you would still spend 20k+ on tuition and living expenses. Law school is only 3 years. Why wouldn't you apply to the schools in Toronto? U of T and Osgoode along with UBC and McGill are considered the best schools we have here. All of these schools are located in large cities. Now, this may not matter depending on your career goals, but if the amount of money you are spending is similar then you should just suck it up and go to one of these schools if you get in. 

Edited by Avatar Aang

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
9 minutes ago, Avatar Aang said:

This doesn't make a lot of sense. Is there a law school in your hometown where you can live at home? Otherwise, you would still spend 20k+ on tuition and living expenses. Law school is only 3 years. Why wouldn't you apply to the schools in Toronto? U of T and Osgoode along with UBC and McGill are considered the best schools we have here. All of these schools are located in large cities. Now, this may not matter depending on your career goals, but if the amount of money you are spending is similar then you should just suck it up and go to one of these schools if you get in. 

I chose queens over Osgoode, largely because I didn’t want to live in North York or commute and I like Kingston. I think that’s a pretty valid reason and I don’t feel that my career prospects have been impacted by that decision. 

• Like 1

• Lawyer
Just now, QueensDenning said:

I chose queens over Osgoode, largely because I didn’t want to live in North York or commute and I like Kingston. I think that’s a pretty valid reason and I don’t feel that my career prospects have been impacted by that decision. 

Yes, that's fair but this isn't that common. Every year some Queen's students transfer to Osgoode but it's rare for any U of T or Osgoode students to transfer to Queen's. If OP is in their second year undergrad, they are closing the doors for a lot of law schools by only wanting to study in a small city. 

Darth Vader
  • Lawyer
35 minutes ago, Ob16 said:

I probably should have specified the reasoning, I’m from a small town and prefer to study in a smaller city, I’m looking to apply to pretty much all schools other than the ones in Toronto. I currently go to a university with small class sizes, I believe my best chances to succeed academically would be outside of Toronto. 

So all law school classes are broken down into small groups in first year, and you take most of your courses in these small groups. Second and third year courses also have a cap on enrollment. So I wouldn't worry about class sizes like you would in undergrad. I don't think it affects your learning much as your grades are largely derived from 100%, open-book exams. 

Ob16
  • Law Student
16 minutes ago, Darth Vader said:

So all law school classes are broken down into small groups in first year, and you take most of your courses in these small groups. Second and third year courses also have a cap on enrollment. So I wouldn't worry about class sizes like you would in undergrad. I don't think it affects your learning much as your grades are largely derived from 100%, open-book exams. 

If I am understanding correctly, most law school exams are open book, and does that include the bar exam? As to your previous posts, yes I am fluent in reading and writing french I did graduate from a fully french high school. Although, it is definitely my second language. Since there is no LSAT required to attend McGill, do they weigh heavily on extracurricular’s?

Darth Vader
  • Lawyer
3 hours ago, Ob16 said:

If I am understanding correctly, most law school exams are open book, and does that include the bar exam? As to your previous posts, yes I am fluent in reading and writing french I did graduate from a fully french high school. Although, it is definitely my second language. Since there is no LSAT required to attend McGill, do they weigh heavily on extracurricular’s?

The Ontario bar exams are open book. McGill seems to weigh two factors the most heavily - GPA (3.7+ to be competitive) and bilingualism. They will do a phone interview with you in French to test your language competency if they have any doubts about your abilities. They accept people straight out of CEGEP, so I don't think extracurriculars matter as much to them but I could be wrong.

McGill's tuition for out of province Canadians is around 11k. This is much cheaper than the 20k+ you would pay for the Ontario law schools. UBC is also a cheaper law school to attend. I'd brush up on my French and focus on getting into McGill.