UofA UofC chances

Cruss

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer

Likely waitlist at UofC (slightly below median GPA, slightly above median LSAT). Could go either way off the waitlist - the average applicant had an LSAT of 163 last year.

• Like 1

Cruss
  • Applicant

I categorized myself right in the middle of the average accepted. Do you think that’s a wait list? Wasn’t sure if bottom 25% is wait list or how many.

Federale
  • Applicant

Is your L2 GPA going by Calgary and Alberta's scale? It could be higher than you thought if you initially calculated it by the 4.0 scale most Ontario schools use 

Edited by Federale
  • Like 1

Thrive92
  • Applicant
On 10/27/2021 at 7:40 AM, Cruss said:

cgpa 3.22
L2 GPA 3.59
LSAT 164 

3 years professional work experience and some extracurriculars while in school. 

Keep in mind that both schools look at your last 2 years (for U of A, last 60 credits), and they view your highest LSAT score. However, they differ on how they treat the courses that you may have taken during the Winter 2020 semester.

U of A simply do not count any courses taken in the Winter 2020 semester for their gpa calculation policy; if an applicant has taken any courses during that semester and have received passing grades for them (passing letter mark or credit received/its equivalence), the courses would be counted to fulfill the last 60 - credit requirements, but the grades themselves will not be used to calculate the gpa.

Based on the stats that you have provided, you are likely to be admitted to U of A. It is slightly more difficult to determine your chances for U of C though, as they take a holistic approach -- your 3 years of work experience and your EC may play a role in getting you likely to be admitted to U of C as well.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer

Perhaps I'm just projecting, but I had a better GPA and the same LSAT and spent a brief period of time on the waitlist (waitlisted in Jan, offer in Feb). I think a lot of Calgary applicants spend some time on the waitlist, and just wanted to flag that for you so it's not some sort of devastating news.

As to you being right on average - it looks like the average for admitted last cycle was 3.66/161 and the average applicant was 3.66/163. So being average doesn't really differentiate you between admitted and rejected, unfortunately. So that's why I said I could go either way. As Thrive said, good luck!

@Federale, it could be lower too - e.g., an 85% is 3.9 OLSAS and 3.8 Calgary.

• Like 1

Cruss
  • Applicant
6 minutes ago, Thrive92 said:

Keep in mind that both schools look at your last 2 years (for U of A, last 60 credits), and they view your highest LSAT score. However, they differ on how they treat the courses that you may have taken during the Winter 2020 semester.

U of A simply do not count any courses taken in the Winter 2020 semester for their gpa calculation policy; if an applicant has taken any courses during that semester and have received passing grades for them (passing letter mark or credit received/its equivalence), the courses would be counted to fulfill the last 60 - credit requirements, but the grades themselves will not be used to calculate the gpa.

Based on the stats that you have provided, you are likely to be admitted to U of A. It is slightly more difficult to determine your chances for U of C though, as they take a holistic approach -- your 3 years of work experience and your EC may play a role in getting you likely to be admitted to U of C as well.

Good 

2 minutes ago, Pantalaimon said:

Perhaps I'm just projecting, but I had a better GPA and the same LSAT and spent a brief period of time on the waitlist (waitlisted in Jan, offer in Feb). I think a lot of Calgary applicants spend some time on the waitlist, and just wanted to flag that for you so it's not some sort of devastating news.

As to you being right on average - it looks like the average for admitted last cycle was 3.66/161 and the average applicant was 3.66/163. So being average doesn't really differentiate you between admitted and rejected, unfortunately. So that's why I said I could go either way. As Thrive said, good luck!

Thanks for the response, always good to have realistic expectations!

Federale
  • Applicant
8 hours ago, Pantalaimon said:

Yeah that's true too. The scale definitely benefits letter grade conversions because I can get an 81% which is an A by my schools grading system which would be a 4.0 for Calgary, whereas if I got an 81 on a strictly percentage scale I'd have a 3.8 for Calgary