Apply now or wait till next cycle?

PapaPetrovitch

PapaPetrovitch
  • Law Student

As the title mentions, I am wondering whether I should apply now or wait till next cycle.

Here are my stats:

• GPA
    • 3.32 cgpa, 3.45 L2/B2
      • McMaster Honours BComm.
  • LSAT
    • August 162 (CANCELLED)
    • Retaking in November
    • I average 166-170 in PTs, hoping for 165+ at least in November
  • ECs
    • Hardly any, mostly worked for the last two years of Uni.
  • LORs
    • Two academic and one professional
  • Extras
    • One year of work experience since graduating (not degree related) 
    • Prior to uni I moved from a country with political turmoil (I reflect on that in my PS).

Reasons to apply this cycle:

1. Decent chance of getting into some target schools (Western, Queens, and maybe McGill)
  2. I could get my goal score on the Nov. LSAT (so why wait another year?) 
  3. I am almost done with the application

Reasons to wait till next one:

1. More time to prep for LSAT = Higher chance of admission to target school (realistically)
  2. Gain more local volunteer experience
  3. Possibility to apply for JD/MBA degree

Target Schools: McGill, Western, Queens, Osgoode, and Ottawa. 

So the real question is, does applying this year and not getting admitted to any of my target schools hurt my chances next year? and what are my chances of getting into my target schools? 

Thanks in advance

Edited by PapaPetrovitch

goosie
  • Lawyer

Honestly, unless you're worried about having to pay the application fees twice, I don't see why you'd wait. Apply now and see what happens. If you don't get in you can still do all of the things you mentioned like doing more LSAT prep and more volunteering. I can't speak to chances specifically but as far as I've heard getting rejected in a previous year won't ruin your chances to get in the following year. Sometimes one year is more or less competitive than another. Plus it's October 27, I assume the deadline is Nov 1 like usual. You mentioned your application is almost done. Personally I wouldn't throw all of that work and effort away so easily.

• Like 3

ClarkGriswold
  • Applicant

How come you cancelled a 162? That’s an 80-something percentile test score! I know it’s not your goal score, but I don’t think there’s a school in Canada that would have negatively perceived a 162.

Edit: To answer the question you posed, I second the comments of goosie. Unless you don’t want to pay twice, you’re already so far in that it makes sense to go through with applying this year. 

Edited by ClarkGriswold
  • Like 2

Kobe
  • Law Student

Shoot your shot. Unless, as noted by @goosie, the application fees are restrictive to you. If you have the money go for it. 

I do not see any advantage in waiting, November could very well give you a 16high score. You can always continue studying for the LSAT anyway for the contingency of not getting in. So one of your major pro's I would not even count, seeing as there is no rule about continuing your LSAT prep while you have applications in. 

If you get in great, if not you have been studying and hopefully are in a better position to score well on the LSAT. 

• Like 1

PapaPetrovitch
  • Law Student
23 hours ago, goosie said:

Honestly, unless you're worried about having to pay the application fees twice, I don't see why you'd wait. Apply now and see what happens. If you don't get in you can still do all of the things you mentioned like doing more LSAT prep and more volunteering. I can't speak to chances specifically but as far as I've heard getting rejected in a previous year won't ruin your chances to get in the following year. Sometimes one year is more or less competitive than another. Plus it's October 27, I assume the deadline is Nov 1 like usual. You mentioned your application is almost done. Personally I wouldn't throw all of that work and effort away so easily.

Yes it definitely makes sense to give it a try this year with what I have and see what happens. Thanks for the advice!

20 hours ago, ClarkGriswold said:

How come you cancelled a 162? That’s an 80-something percentile test score! I know it’s not your goal score, but I don’t think there’s a school in Canada that would have negatively perceived a 162.

Only reason I cancelled is because I know I am capable of doing a lot better and I know that McGill averages all LSAT scores. So if I end up getting something in the high 160s in November, I wouldn't want an old score to to affect my chances of getting into McGill. 

• Like 1

Kobe
  • Law Student
23 minutes ago, slushiecrusher said:

Why did you cancel a 162?

On 10/28/2021 at 7:05 PM, PapaPetrovitch said:

Only reason I cancelled is because I know I am capable of doing a lot better and I know that McGill averages all LSAT scores. So if I end up getting something in the high 160s in November, I wouldn't want an old score to to affect my chances of getting into McGill.