Chances? Cgpa 3.4 L2/B2 3.8 LSAT 158

Kurapika

Kurapika
  • Applicant

I scored a 158 on my first try for the October LSAT. I was just wondering what my chances are at Queens, Western, Windsor, Ryerson, Osgoode, Ottawa and Dal? I'm retaking in November and worse case in January to try to break into the 160's but was just wondering what my chances are right now with a 158.

Federale
  • Applicant

Dal has an index formula you can use to check how competitive you are, otherwise you got a decent shot at Windsor, Ryerson and Ottawa too, bit more of a longshot at Western and Queens but if you get your score in the 160's you have a much better chance. Osgoode is hard to say but obviously being below both medians doesn't help, other parts of your application could potentially compensate though

Thrive92
  • Applicant

As the other poster have mentioned, Dalhousie has an index formula to determine if you are likely to be admitted or not:

[(GPA/4.3)*60]+[(LSAT–120)*40/60]

A score of over 80 indicates that you are likely to be admitted. Keep in mind that Dalhousie looks at your last 60 credits in calculating an applicant's gpa, not the best 2 years. They also include summer courses.

I cannot comment about the other schools you are considering because I have no idea of the law schools in Ontario.

Good luck

Federale
  • Applicant

Just wanna add that Dal organizes apps by putting them into two piles, applicants from the province and then everyone else, with X amount of seats reserved (I think its around 40-50) for those in-province applicants.

They do this to try and have more students from Nova Scotia, so you're competing against a different pool of applicants depending on where you're applying from. 

3 minutes ago, Federale said:

Just wanna add that Dal organizes apps by putting them into two piles, applicants from the province and then everyone else, with X amount of seats reserved (I think its around 40-50) for those in-province applicants.

They do this to try and have more students from Nova Scotia, so you're competing against a different pool of applicants depending on where you're applying from. 

I don't know about the Nova Scotia quota, but they allocate 50% of the seats to Atlantic Canada vs the rest of Canada. So anyone from the maritimes and Newfoundland is eligible for those 80 - 90 seats. 

Kurapika
  • Applicant
4 minutes ago, Federale said:

Thanks for the input! My index is at about 79.6 using the 4.3 scale and I am applying from Ontario. Would this still give me a chance at Dal or do I really need to get into the 160's to get accepted? 

Federale
  • Applicant
8 hours ago, LawApp22 said:

Thanks for the input! My index is at about 79.6 using the 4.3 scale and I am applying from Ontario. Would this still give me a chance at Dal or do I really need to get into the 160's to get accepted? 

The competitive threshold for out of province applicants is supposedly a .81 so getting into the 160 may well be the difference between getting in or not. It's definitely possible you get in with your stats as they are, but your chances would be way better the higher your LSAT score is

8 hours ago, realpseudonym said:

I don't know about the Nova Scotia quota, but they allocate 50% of the seats to Atlantic Canada vs the rest of Canada. So anyone from the maritimes and Newfoundland is eligible for those 80 - 90 seats. 

Yeah you're right about the Atlantic Part, my bad for putting just Nova Scotia, but I was told its closer to 40% of seats reserved. Either way OP now has a better idea of what their chances are