Chances? LSAT 169, CGPA 3.9/4.0 (B2: 3.95)

41ta

41ta
  • Applicant

MA (political and legal thought @ queens) GPA: 3.85

Softs:
- 2 senate committees and 1 ad-hoc committee during my undergrad
- student tutor for individuals with disabilities
- life-long disability myself
- SSHRC CGS-M grant in MA 

As a first time applicant, I'm wondering what my chances are for admissions/scholarships at Dal, UofT, and Queen's ? Also, does anyone know anything about early admissions to any of these schools? 

Many thanks  

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

Why did you post a thread under one account, delete that, post the thread under a different account, then respond with your original account (edit: and then delete that and post under the alt)? What is going on here? lol

Edited by CleanHands

41ta
  • Applicant
10 minutes ago, Ben said:

What’s your undergrad GPA like? Is that GPA converted or on the Queen’s scale? 

My undergrad GPA was 3.9/4.0, where an A+ grade was between 94-100% and awarded a 4.0. Queen's grad school used a 4.33 GPA scale, where an A+ was between 90-100% and awarded a 4.33. I received 7 A+ grades in my undergrad, so I'm assuming my converted GPA would actually be higher than a 3.9??

2 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

Why did you post a thread under one account, delete that, post a thread under a different account, then respond with your original account (edit: and then delete that and post under the alt)? What is going on here? lol

Ah apologies! My partner and I - both applying to law schools - browse this forum and I accidentally made my post under their account. 

Edited by 41ta
  • Nom! 1

Ben
  • Law Student

For greater certainty, you got a 3.85 on the Queen's scale in the LPT? 

Regardless, you'll almost certainly get into all those schools on the strength of your LSAT and undergrad GPA, unless you say something really odd in your personal statement. I believe U of T usually does its first wave of acceptances in early December and I don't think you can get in ahead of that. Here are some scholarships it offers. The vast majority of them mention both financial need and academic excellence as a prerequisite. 

41ta
  • Applicant
4 minutes ago, Ben said:

For greater certainty, you got a 3.85 on the Queen's scale in the LPT? 

Regardless, you'll almost certainly get into all those schools on the strength of your LSAT and undergrad GPA, unless you say something really odd in your personal statement. I believe U of T usually does its first wave of acceptances in early December and I don't think you can get in ahead of that. Here are some scholarships it offers. The vast majority of them mention both financial need and academic excellence as a prerequisite. 

Yes, that is correct. Thank you kindly for your insight and for that link. 

• Like 1

Thrive92
  • Applicant
6 minutes ago, 41ta said:

My undergrad GPA was 3.9/4.0, where an A+ grade was between 94-100% and awarded a 4.0. Queen's grad school used a 4.33 GPA scale, where an A+ was between 90-100% and awarded a 4.33. I received 7 A+ grades in my undergrad, so I'm assuming my converted GPA would actually be higher than a 3.9??

What is the gpa of your last 60 credits, and best 2 academic years?

Queen's gpa policy is based on an applicant's two best full - time academic year (4 or 5 courses per semester between fall and winter, not summer). I am not too sure about how they view graduate coursework though.

Dalhousie's gpa policy is based on your last 60 credits, and they do include graduate - level coursework. They include summer courses as well.

I cannot specifically comment on your chances for Queen's and U of T as i dont know much about those two, but for Dalhousie there is a index formula that you can refer to in order to determine if you are likely to be admitted or not:

[(GPA/4.3)*60]+[(LSAT–120)*40/60]

If you calculate a score above 80, you are considered to be competitive.

Good luck

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

This doesn't really need to be complicated; the bottom line is that the OP is competitive for every school in the country and any waitlisting or rejection is possible (as incongruous ones always are) but would be unusual.

Scholarships are harder to predict.

• Thanks 1

41ta
  • Applicant
12 minutes ago, Thrive92 said:

What is the gpa of your last 60 credits, and best 2 academic years?

Queen's gpa policy is based on an applicant's two best full - time academic year (4 or 5 courses per semester between fall and winter, not summer). I am not too sure about how they view graduate coursework though.

Dalhousie's gpa policy is based on your last 60 credits, and they do include graduate - level coursework. They include summer courses as well.

I cannot specifically comment on your chances for Queen's and U of T as i dont know much about those two, but for Dalhousie there is a index formula that you can refer to in order to determine if you are likely to be admitted or not:

[(GPA/4.3)*60]+[(LSAT–120)*40/60]

If you calculate a score above 80, you are considered to be competitive.

Good luck

The GPA for my last 60 credits using Dal's converted 4.3 scale is 3.96. my last two years converted to 3.94. The index for dal is great to know; thank you!