Chances? AGPA-3.35, B2-3.55 L2-3.37 LSAT-162

colombianskiingteam

colombianskiingteam
  • Applicant

Hey all,

Hope you're doing well. Just went and calculated my GPA breakdowns (on 4.5 scale) and have been looking at a couple of schools. With the above numbers what are the chances that I could get in as an index applicant at the following:

U of Manitoba, U of Calgary, Queens University, U of Sask & University of North Dakota. 

I know my GPA isnt phenomenal but I was hoping with that LSAT it would bring me into candidacy for some of these schools. U of Manitoba is top choice & will be applying to others to best increase the odds that I'm not attending law school next year. 

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,

ColombianSkiingTeam

Kobe
  • Law Student

Seems unlikely at U of Manitoba, Queens, and Calgary. Idk about U sask. The problem is your lsat score is close to the median at these schools but your gpa is low. For example at Manitoba plenty of low 160 scorers were admitted and matriculated but only one person with a 3.3 was admitted and they had a 170+ according to their numbers. If you can retake that would be probably best. It's not so bad that it is impossible but I would be prepared for rejections. If it were me I would retake to improve my chances. 

Also why North Dakota? It's a very low ranked school, your LSAT in the US could get you into much better schools. 

Source : https://law.robsonhall.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/2020-21-Class-Profile.pdf

Renerik
  • Law Student

Like Kobe said, your chances are low at the Canadian schools you've listed. UMan used to do their class profile better than anyone else, showing how many applicants they had within certain stat ranges and how many offers to those groups they doled out. They stopped doing it last cycle so here's the 2019-2020 data.

image.png.b2f016b4adf979caa495ac057e17420e.png

As you can see a few years ago they gave out 2 offers to 9 of the applicants with similar stats to yours. Since then LSATs and GPAs have crept upwards. I'd give you under 10% chance this cycle at UMAN. Your GPA is the killer and will be restrict you from the vast majority of Canadian schools. Consider going back to school for a term or two to boost you L2/AGPA. 

@Kobe OP mentions North Dakota because they have an agreement that allows Manitobans to pay local tuition prices instead of out-of-state tuition. Fees included it'd be around 11K USD for OP's school fees. Would OP get into UND? Almost certainly because their admissions averages are incredibly low.

image.png.9d3a538bb13a438b1ad80952c0aa412d.png

There isn't that much information about career prospects for Canadian students but in 2019 UND interviewed two of their Canadian graduates, Jessie Brar and Ian Duncan. I looked them up on linkedin and both seem to have normal law-firm jobs. One is back in Canada and the other stayed in the US. @colombianskiingteam look them up and send them an email. Ask them about their Canadian cohort at UND, what the job prospects are, and if it was worth it. 

• Like 3

Kobe
  • Law Student
8 hours ago, Renerik said:

@Kobe OP mentions North Dakota because they have an agreement that allows Manitobans to pay local tuition prices instead of out-of-state tuition. Fees included it'd be around 11K USD for OP's school fees. Would OP get into UND? Almost certainly because their admissions averages are incredibly low.

Interesting never knew this. I'd be hesitant to do this but I can see it making sense depending on what your career goals are. As @Renerik said it would be best to look into people who went down that route and if possible talk to them about their career path.  Hopefully you get into UMan and none of this matters, but it's important to have all the information you can before going South of the border. 

I will add if an American JD is what you are looking at I would still apply to schools in 50-100 range, you may be surprised at the merit aid you might receive, many of the schools in this range are still quite rich and will give out generous scholarships that are not conditional on law school grades. You'll need to purchase CAS anyway to apply to UND (unless they have some sort of direct application) and could likely get merit fee waivers for some schools in this range, so may as well get your money's worth for the $250 CAS and possibly open up options. 

Edited by Kobe

On 10/30/2021 at 12:29 PM, colombianskiingteam said:

Hey all,

Hope you're doing well. Just went and calculated my GPA breakdowns (on 4.5 scale) and have been looking at a couple of schools. With the above numbers what are the chances that I could get in as an index applicant at the following:

U of Manitoba, U of Calgary, Queens University, U of Sask & University of North Dakota. 

I know my GPA isnt phenomenal but I was hoping with that LSAT it would bring me into candidacy for some of these schools. U of Manitoba is top choice & will be applying to others to best increase the odds that I'm not attending law school next year. 

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,

ColombianSkiingTeam

OP, I suggest you apply to UNB and TRU.

They are good schools.

• Like 1