Access Category Applicant with solid GPA, but weak-ish LSAT

atticus115

atticus115
  • Applicant

Hello everyone. I hope you're all well. 

I'm not sure how to properly calculate my cGPA or B2 because of a "PASS" grade from the winter 2020 semester, but all my grades are either 85-90 or 90-100, with the exception of one 80. I won a couple academic scholarships at university, too. Also, I scored 154 on the October 2021 LSAT and am about to begin studying again for the January administration. I have a documented learning disability which, despite my academic accommodations, have affected - and continue to affect - my academic performance, so I am applying under the access category to Queens, Western, and uOttawa. I have submitted all relevant and required documentation to OLSAS, but am concerned about how admissions committees may perceive an applicant like me. 

Any input would be much appreciated! Many thanks in advance.  

Kobe
  • Law Student

Not sure what school you go to as each schools grading is different. I believe OLSAS has a table which can help you convert your marks based on where you did undergrad. Someone can correct me if I am wrong here but I believe Pass/Fail courses do not count to GPA unless you failed. 

Seems you are likely between a 3.8 and 3.9, can't speak to how powerful your access claim might be but increasing your LSAT score would certainly help. Your GPA is amazing though, so congrats on doing that with a learning disability that's great to see. 

Others may be able to actually chance you but thought I'd answer about the GPA thing. 

• Like 1

atticus115
  • Applicant
1 minute ago, CleanHands said:

Does your learning disability negatively impact your LSAT performance?

Yes, but the explanation as to exactly how it affects my LSAT performance depends on wordy pychology jargon contained in my assessment. I also received accomodation on the LSAT, and am unsure if that changes anything. 

On 10/31/2021 at 1:24 AM, atticus115 said:

Yes, but the explanation as to exactly how it affects my LSAT performance depends on wordy pychology jargon contained in my assessment. I also received accomodation on the LSAT, and am unsure if that changes anything. 

If your access statement addresses your proof of disability and explains the relevance to obstacles you faced while writing the LSAT it should be fine. I am an access applicant as well and when I met with some admissions people from various schools most of them said to just detail in my access category how it impacted the information in my file.

That’s an awesome GPA in general let alone access category. Awesome work!