Chance me (Cgpa:3.45/ L2:3.9/ 166)

futurelawyersomewhere

futurelawyersomewhere
  • Applicant

Hey guys!

Hope you're having a wonderful day. I was hoping to get some insight on what my chances are for the following schools: uottawa, uwo, queens, uoft, osgoode, ubc with my stats (Cgpa:3.45/ L2:3.9/ B3: 3.77/166. My UBC index score comes out to 92.38. I will also be retaking in November and am aiming for a 168. Would that have any significant impact on my chances? Thank you for your input!

Edited by lawyersomewhere

RickyJulian
  • Applicant

I can answer for UBC- last year the average GPA was 83.5%, which is close to a 3.9/4.33. The average lsat was 166. UBC drops 12 credits or 4 half semester courses if you have 90 credits. Is your gpa on a 4 scale? Also, UBC bases your GPA on all classes not B2/L2. If it’s on a 4 scale, what is your CGPA on a 4.33 scale? Also is your CGPA including the 4 courses dropped? Once you know your CGPA on a 4.33 scale, you can calculate your index. If it truly is 92.38 based on your 166 lsat and Cgpa of 3.45 then you should get in or at the very least are highly competitive 

Edited by RickyJulian

futurelawyersomewhere
  • Applicant
4 hours ago, RickyJulian said:

I can answer for UBC- last year the average GPA was 83.5%, which is close to a 3.9/4.33. The average lsat was 166. UBC drops 12 credits or 4 half semester courses if you have 90 credits. Is your gpa on a 4 scale? Also, UBC bases your GPA on all classes not B2/L2. If it’s on a 4 scale, what is your CGPA on a 4.33 scale? Also is your CGPA including the 4 courses dropped? Once you know your CGPA on a 4.33 scale, you can calculate your index. If it truly is 92.38 based on your 166 lsat and Cgpa of 3.45 then you should get in or at the very least are highly competitive 

Thank you so much for you response! I have received my GPA from UBC law so I am hoping it is correct :'). I worry about this cycle because index scores were so high last year so I'm not sure if 92+ is still considered solid. Nonetheless, appreciate your insight 🙂

RickyJulian
  • Applicant

@lawyersomewhereYou’re welcome, I think with a cgpa of 3.45 on a 4 scale, it translates to roughly a 3.7 on a 4.33 scale, however that’s a rough estimate. A 3.7/4.33 is a 80% at UBC unless that is your cgpa before credit drops, which would most likely boost your CGPA. Do you mind sharing what your cgpa is for UBC after drops in terms of percentage grade since that is what is used for the index calculations. 

RickyJulian
  • Applicant
5 hours ago, lawyersomewhere said:

@RickyJulian Sorry I guess I should have clarified. 3.45 is my OLSAS gpa. But my average for UBC with drops is 85.2

No worries! Is your CGPA 3.45 with the credits dropped? Also, is this a UBC confirmed GPA or a self calculated one? Another member referred me this tool to help me calculate my GPA % as UBC uses percentages to calculate your GPA. If your school doesn’t give out minus grades like an A- then you would select the box that works accordingly to your schools grading system http://lsutil.azurewebsites.net/UBC/GPA

If your school gives out letter grades then you would convert it to a % on this scale under the category percentage equivalencies: https://www.arts.ubc.ca/degree-planning/academic-performance/promotion-continuation-grading/

For example if your transcript uses letter grades than convert those. For example if you have an A then that would be a 86%, if your transcript uses percentages then you would use those. 

I’m in the same boat with a 84.55 or 86.13 (if 3 courses under review are dropped) and have a 166 LSAT, hopefully we’re both highly competitive but hard to say as the index score seems to be getting higher now. 

futurelawyersomewhere
  • Applicant

@RickyJulianThis is confirmed by UBC! They calculated this and let me know when I asked. Good luck to you friend! fingers crossed for us 

RickyJulian
  • Applicant
5 hours ago, lawyersomewhere said:

@RickyJulianThis is confirmed by UBC! They calculated this and let me know when I asked. Good luck to you friend! fingers crossed for us 

Taking a look at last years accepted thread, many people with both our index scores got in. However it’s a small sample size as not everyone who got accepted posts there. Thank you and likewise. I think we should get in but never know how this cycle will be.