Welp, I submitted my PS with a typo

Slothrop

Slothrop
  • Law Student

After weeks of rereading and editing, I still managed to upload 4 out of my 6 applications with a grammatical error 🙃 

I’ve been freaking out since realizing and I’m looking for honest feedback, will this really hurt my chances? Stats are 3.6 cGPA, 3.72 L2 and 164 LSAT. 

Has anyone been accepted with an obvious PS mistake? 

GGrievous
  • Law Student

Yes people have been accepted with typos.

No it will not hurt your chances.

You will be a law student next September. You can relax.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

legally_brunette
  • Applicant

I saw someone posting that they accidentally put the wrong school name in one of their personal statements, and that they were still accepted in spite of that lol. If that is a factor that some ad com's will overlook, certainly one typo is no big deal! I'm sure they get it all the time given how rigorously we write and edit multiple statements for so many schools...congrats on applying and try not to stress yourself out!

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Timmy23
  • Applicant
3 hours ago, legally_brunette said:

I saw someone posting that they accidentally put the wrong school name in one of their personal statements, and that they were still accepted in spite of that lol. If that is a factor that some ad com's will overlook, certainly one typo is no big deal! I'm sure they get it all the time given how rigorously we write and edit multiple statements for so many schools...congrats on applying and try not to stress yourself out!

Holyyy I can't believe that haha! Must've had some great stats for that to be overlooked.

legally_brunette
  • Applicant
1 hour ago, Timmy23 said:

Holyyy I can't believe that haha! Must've had some great stats for that to be overlooked.

Right! I was so surprised... but it kind of shed light on the fact that admissions com's are also humans, and they can likely read the intention that is behind a strong statement, in spite of even the worst errors!

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student

Don't worry about it. I submitted some of my apps with a type or two and was fine. I also made some glaring mistakes on my OCI applications (addressing cover letter to the wrong person, spelling mistakes in the cover letter) and that didn't seem to matter either. Obviously not ideal, but if the rest of your package is competitive I don't see the determining factor being a spelling mistake or two. Good luck! It's a wild ride! 

Kobe
  • Law Student

I also submitted an app with a typo and was accepted. Just thought I'd add so you have another data point. 

Totally not a big deal! 

• Like 2

Piffle
  • Law Student

OP, you shouldn't harshly beat yourself up over it. 

For comparison, I've brought up this podcast hosted by the deans of admission at Yale and Harvard, and during this episode at ~24:45, they talked about writing the wrong school’s name in a PS. According to them, it’s not an automatic death sentence for an application even to their schools, when they're literally the most selective ones in the world. 

For your context OP, your stats are competitive, and will in my opinion very likely carry you through. Don't worry. 

(Not to say that one should be careless when writing a PS, but really, this isn't the end of the world.)

Edited by Piffle

WiseGhost
  • Law Student

I heard from McGill adcoms that they've had a few applicants send in their med school statements instead of their law ps. According to them, THAT is a big no. 

I wouldn't be worried about a typo, could be worse. 

Vizslaw
  • Lawyer

Don't sweat it. I had a typo in my PS too and beat myself up over it too. You're not going to miss the cut because of a typo if you otherwise would be admitted. Based on your stats you will be competitive.

StephenToast
  • Law Student
12 hours ago, legally_brunette said:

Hey that's me! I ended my PS for Ottawa saying "that's why I want to go to Osgoode"

Just to echo@Apple, no good can come from rereading your application materials. Just forget that you've even applied and push it out of your mind. It's not like there's anything else you could do about it!

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
Just now, StephenToast said:

Hey that's me! I ended my PS for Ottawa saying "that's why I want to go to Osgoode"

They read it as a flex, bruh. You were like "I'm hot shit so I want to go to Oz" and they were like "no wait, please give us a chance." They like a candidate who plays hard to get.

• Like 1
  • LOL 7

StephenToast
  • Law Student

ron swanson GIF

30 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

They read it as a flex, bruh. You were like "I'm hot shit so I want to go to Oz" and they were like "no wait, please give us a chance." They like a candidate who plays hard to get.

• LOL 2

legally_brunette
  • Applicant
12 hours ago, CleanHands said:

@StephenToast you are our inspiration 

Edited by legally_brunette
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1