Any tips for a 2L for the non-oci job hunt?

TimHortonsCup

TimHortonsCup
  • Law Student

I struck out with OCI's, and im just curious if theres any tips for non-oci firms? As in, is there a certain time period where non-oci firms are more likely to be hiring or is there somewhere I can look for job postings? 

Thanks!

goosie
  • Lawyer

Your school's career office will probably have most of the postings. Some firms regularly hire post-OCIs (Blaney McMurtry, Macdonald Sager Manis, Loopstra Nixon, Minden Gross, Robins Appleby...). In terms of timing, my understanding is that post-OCIs it depends on the particular employer - some hire right after OCIs, others wait to have a better sense of their need for students and hire in the winter or the spring. Caveat that I went through OCIs last year when they were pushed to February so others might have a better idea of how things are scheduled in a regular year.

Turn on job alerts for "law student", "summer law student" etc on LinkedIn and Indeed. Most of those jobs will be in house, but some smaller firms post there as well. I also follow the LawJobsCan twitter account - they retweet Canadian law job postings, so not all student or Toronto area, but some things that show up there aren't posted elsewhere. I also told some trusted mentors that I had struck out, and they told me about any potential roles they came across.

As a general tip (for job hunting of any kind), don't get too emotionally invested in any particular job. Things may have been easiest or most straightforward if you got an OCI job, but you're going to end up perfectly fine. I got my 2L job at a national corporation by interviewing with one company and them recommending me to another (one that didn't have any student job advertised) when they couldn't hire me. I got my articling job by applying on a whim after figuring I could repurpose a cover letter I had already written. These things have a way of working themselves out in the end, as long as you keep applying and putting your best foot forward.

Edited by goosie
  • Like 3

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer

Bumping this in anticipation of 5pm today. Good luck to all the candidates - but rest assured, if your phone doesn't ring at 5pm you're still going to be OK. Pour one out, take a day to yourself, and reset because there's a post-OCI recruit and a lot of further opportunities (notably in house) later in 2L.

• Like 4