What happens if you get multiple offers?

flannelfan

flannelfan
  • Law Student

Apologies if this is an obvious question - but this recruitment process is all new to me and I would love to hear from people who have gone through this process before or may have some advice. 

I have been called back for day 3 for several firms tomorrow and of course, like an anxious law student, am thinking ahead. If 5pm rolls around and my second choice calls me first and offers me a position, is the protocol to say "Thank you I need some time to consider this offer" and then wait with the hopes that the first choice firm will call me as well?

Thanks in advance!!!!! Just looking for any insight into these type of situations. 

Lawllapalooza
  • Lawyer

Exactly! As per the LSO procedures every firm that extends you an offer must keep that offer open until at least 5pm on November 4th. Be aware that you have a corresponding duty to deal with offers as expeditiously as possible. For reputational reasons you also won't want to keep a firm waiting any longer than is necessary. Should you receive an offer from one of your lower ranked firms but silence from the others, you can always call higher ranked firms to see where you stand (e.g. if their offers have all been accepted, if 1+ are considering it and you're next in line, etc). 

https://lso.ca/becoming-licensed/lawyer-licensing-process/articling-candidates/finding-a-placement/2022-toronto-summer-student-recruitment-procedures

• Thanks 1

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer
21 minutes ago, flannelfan said:

If 5pm rolls around and my second choice calls me first and offers me a position, is the protocol to say "Thank you I need some time to consider this offer"

Yes.

22 minutes ago, flannelfan said:

[...] and then wait with the hopes that the first choice firm will call me as well?

I wouldn't wait, you can just call your first choice and ask where you stand.

• Thanks 1