Rejections?

Biglaw241

Biznessie
  • Law Student
8 hours ago, WUDALA said:

By email or phone?

Email. Got a reply to a thank you note I sent to a partner that said "good luck tomorrow" and then Shemara sent the rejection email an hour later. 

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student

Anyone else really not know if they're going to get a call today? I had one third round with the firm I first choice'd. Could not get a read from my interviewers in terms of whether I was going to get an offer. 

• Sad 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
56 minutes ago, Biznessie said:

Email. Got a reply to a thank you note I sent to a partner that said "good luck tomorrow" and then Shemara sent the rejection email an hour later. 

Stone cold! This is why lawyers shouldn't respond to thank you emails (or better yet, we should all scrap the practice of thank you emails).

• Like 1

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer

It's actually kind of nice that Gowling did that, it lets you re-deploy your first choice elsewhere. Sorry it happened in that way, though, @Biznessie.

Edited by Pantalaimon
Idk why I always put an S at the end of Gowling
  • Like 2

TooYoung
  • Articling Student
6 minutes ago, QueensDenning said:

Anyone else really not know if they're going to get a call today? I had one third round with the firm I first choice'd. Could not get a read from my interviewers in terms of whether I was going to get an offer. 

I'm just looking forward to going back to my life in sweatpants and hoodies. 

• Like 6

disgruntledpelican
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, CleanHands said:

Stone cold! This is why lawyers shouldn't respond to thank you emails (or better yet, we should all scrap the practice of thank you emails).

Agreed. I didn’t reply to any thank you emails out of fear they might be overanalyzed. And in any event they would have zero impact on my thoughts or recommendation of a candidate as I would normally send them right away. 

When I said “good luck” to the candidates, I genuinely meant it and I hope no one read anything negative into it, as I have very little visibility into the actual central decision making. 

10 minutes ago, disgruntledpelican said:

When I said “good luck” to the candidates, I genuinely meant it and I hope no one read anything negative into it, as I have very little visibility into the actual central decision making. 

Yeah it was the same at my firm. I wasn’t the one making the ultimate decision at all. When I responded to thank you emails and said best of luck, I meant it generally and with no implication that the recipient was out of the running or whatever. I suspect this is the case most of the time at other firms too. 

Biznessie
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, CleanHands said:

When I got the "good luck" email I took it as a pretty clear negative indicator (other things had happened before that email) so I wasn't too surprised by the ultimate rejection email. Oh well... 

samk554
  • Law Student

has anyone heard from gowling since their interview yesterday? theyve sent rejections to some people but left others hanging

Queens23
  • Law Student
36 minutes ago, samk554 said:

has anyone heard from gowling since their interview yesterday? theyve sent rejections to some people but left others hanging

If they left you hanging then they’re either planning on calling you first or you’re on a waitlist in the likely event that some people will not accept their offer. I’m pretty sure all firms have a “back-up” list, as do we. 

Just now, Queens23 said:

If they left you hanging then they’re either planning on calling you first or you’re on a waitlist in the likely event that some people will not accept their offer. I’m pretty sure all firms have a “back-up” list, as do we. 

Is this universal? I’m curious about Fasken too. 

lawstudent1
  • Law Student
4 hours ago, QueensDenning said:

I'm in the exact same position. I have no idea where they're leaning and I'm definitely stressing.

Queens23
  • Law Student
6 minutes ago, Mustang said:

Is this universal? I’m curious about Fasken too. 

It depends on if the firm sends rejections. Some firms just go dark and you’ll never hear from them again. If a firm is known to send rejections and you haven’t received one yet, you’re obviously still “in play” with them to a certain extent. Whether that means you’re a top pick or a backup choice will depend on how strong a candidate you are, how interested you were (I.e. did you first choice them) and the mood of whoever made the decision lol 

You’re also much more likely to receive a rejection if you said “first choice” to a firm so that you can re-deploy it. If a firm is only sending rejections to help people who have “first choiced” them, then it means nothing that you haven’t gotten a rejection email. 

lawstudent1
  • Law Student

Do firms send out rejections at 5PM as well? Or can I ever expect them to send a rejection if they haven't sent one yet?

litigatortobe
  • Law Student

During the 1L recruit, I received a call from a firm around 5:40ish to say they weren't able to make me an offer. But I don't know if this is true for all firms. 

• Thanks 1

BuckDancer
  • Lawyer
Just now, lawstudent1 said:

Do firms send out rejections at 5PM as well? Or can I ever expect them to send a rejection if they haven't sent one yet?

No, it is not common to send out rejections at 5pm (or after). If there is a firm you were expecting/hoping to hear from at 5 pm, please CALL THE FIRM, tell them you were hoping to hear from them, and ask them where you stand. Rejection sucks, it is scary to put yourself out there, but people get jobs every year by doing this. Good luck!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Queens23 said:

You’re also much more likely to receive a rejection if you said “first choice” to a firm so that you can re-deploy it. If a firm is only sending rejections to help people who have “first choiced” them, then it means nothing that you haven’t gotten a rejection email. 

Has anyone been lucky enough to receive one of these emails, but still get a call because people didn’t accept offers? Lol asking for a friend 😂