Chances: 3.46/4.33 + 171 (97th percentile)

2-5-5-2

2-5-5-2
  • Applicant

Essentially just wondering if the 905-915 index score that is floating around is expected to be relevant this cycle? This gives me a 917.5, presuming I've done all my conversions (UBC undergrad) and drops correctly. UBC is looking like a reach school for me so hoping that UVic will be more favourable. Thanks in advance!

Borat
  • Law Student

That figure is based on older data and wasn't really relevant last year. Although, admissions will probably be less competitive this year so I think you still have a decent shot.

I would say that UBC and UVic are very similar in how competitive they are. Don't go in (like me) with the assumption that UVic is your backup. Only a small number of people get rejected by UBC but accepted at UVic. If UBC looks like a reach, then definitely look into applying at UofA, UofC, TRU, etc.

Last cycle my application for UVic actually had better stats than my UBC app (since UVic also takes into account term 1 grades for currently enrolled students, unlike UBC). So, I though that for sure I would be accepted, but to my surprise I ended up getting waitlisted with a ~919 index. [Another factor is probably the fact that I applied really late, a few days before the deadline. Applying earlier might have been better].

I had very similar stats. Got accepted to Queen's, Western, Windsor, and Ottawa.

Waitlisted UofT and Oz. 

You have a good chance if you want to leave BC. 

2-5-5-2
  • Applicant
15 minutes ago, Borat said:

That figure is based on older data and wasn't really relevant last year. Although, admissions will probably be less competitive this year so I think you still have a decent shot.

I would say that UBC and UVic are very similar in how competitive they are. Don't go in (like me) with the assumption that UVic is your backup. Only a small number of people get rejected by UBC but accepted at UVic. If UBC looks like a reach, then definitely look into applying at UofA, UofC, TRU, etc.

Last cycle my application for UVic actually had better stats than my UBC app (since UVic also takes into account term 1 grades for currently enrolled students, unlike UBC). So, I though that for sure I would be accepted, but to my surprise I ended up getting waitlisted with a ~919 index. [Another factor is probably the fact that I applied really late, a few days before the deadline. Applying earlier might have been better].

Thanks for the insight. My only thought of UVic as a "safe" school was the index score which is better than my UBC index of 91.9 (just shy of the magic 92) but clearly there are more layers to it. Good to know though.

2 minutes ago, Legalrealist said:

I had very similar stats. Got accepted to Queen's, Western, Windsor, and Ottawa.

Waitlisted UofT and Oz. 

You have a good chance if you want to leave BC. 

Keep in mind this is already with the 4 course drops that UVic factors into GPA calculation so I might look less competitive in Ontario without that. I appreciate the feedback though!

734bird
  • Law School Admit

When I contacted UVic last year they said the auto-admit has historically been as low as 905 and as high as 920 (last year could have been higher since it was a crazy year, but no data on that as far as I am aware). If you above the magic number (changes every year based on the pool of applicant), you're in... they won't even bother reading your personal statement. If you're below that but above a certain number (not sure how they calculate that but can't imagine a 917 would be below they) they look at your personal statement and your index, so in other words, your personal statement starts to become fairly important for 'borderline' candidates.

Bruiser
  • Law Student

I had a 3.34/170 and got into UVic almost immediately after applying, which I did on the day of the deadline.

Bruiser
  • Law Student

@CpeaksThank you! And no sorry, this was two years ago.

Also, I'm looking back at my comment now and I'm aware it comes off braggart-y. I just wanted to reassure @2-5-5-2 that I was clearly in the auto-admit range with lower numbers and a day-of application, so I have confidence that they'll do well with their better stats and hopefully better planning and preparation! I ended up staying in Ontario, which is absolutely a possibility for OP with those numbers as well.