Acceptance deadline before receiving other offers

Robdon

I apologize if this has already been asked somewhere else… I’ve been holding off on applying to UNB, as it is not my top choice and am afraid of applying and having to get back to them my decision before I hear back from some of my top choices… UNB deadline is something like March. I probably wouldn’t wait that late. But I wondering if anyone has any advice on this ? 

There is always a benefit to applying earlier than the first round of acceptances. Schools will look at candidates on a rolling basis, so if you are on the line, it may be helpful to throw it out in December, rather than March. This gives you more time to be evaluated. 

When this was me, I didn’t take the risk and paid a deposit at a school I didn’t end up going to and ate the cost of application/deposit. Obviously, that was something I financially decided was worth it for me, but may not be possible for you/worth it to you. 

23 hours ago, tails said:

There is always a benefit to applying earlier than the first round of acceptances. Schools will look at candidates on a rolling basis, so if you are on the line, it may be helpful to throw it out in December, rather than March. This gives you more time to be evaluated. 

When this was me, I didn’t take the risk and paid a deposit at a school I didn’t end up going to and ate the cost of application/deposit. Obviously, that was something I financially decided was worth it for me, but may not be possible for you/worth it to you. 

Oh okay, I actually didn’t think this was an option. On OLSAS It says once you apply the rest of the schools get notified and your application is no longer considered ? 

Do you know if this is a bit different when applying to a non Ontario zoned school ? 

Renerik
  • Law Student
57 minutes ago, Robdon said:

Oh okay, I actually didn’t think this was an option. On OLSAS It says once you apply the rest of the schools get notified and your application is no longer considered ? 

Do you know if this is a bit different when applying to a non Ontario zoned school ? 

When accepting an offer to an Ontario school, you can accept firmly, or provisionally. 

A firm acceptance removes you from all Ontario waitlists and removes you from contention at all other Ontario schools. You want this school, no other within Ontario. You are still in contention at non-Ontario schools.

A provisional acceptance will keep you in contention at other Ontario schools and will not kick you off any Ontario waitlists. Your seat at this school is secured, but you're hoping for something else. Again, you're still in contention at non-ontario schools. Sometime in late spring/ early summer, all provisional acceptances become firm.

Both firm and provisional acceptances only apply to Ontario schools. Accepting an offer to UNB in November won't kick you out of contention at an Ontario school, only firmly accepting an offer from an Ontario law school will do that.

• Like 2