How to decline an offer without burning bridges?

litigatortobe

litigatortobe
  • Law Student

I'm pretty sure I'm going to receive an offer from this firm, but I don't have any intention to accept it. Should I wait until they call? or send an email before 5pm?

MapleLeafs
  • Law Student

Are you 100% sure you're going to receive an offer from another firm? If not, I wouldn't recommend declining before 5pm. Also, I'm not sure how you really burn bridges by declining an offer, unless you told the firm that they're your first choice and you are reneging from that. 

Edited by MapleLeafs
  • Thanks 1

Lawllapalooza
  • Lawyer

Unless you've previously suggested to them that they're your first choice and since changed your mind, I wouldn't worry about burning bridges. If you get their call before preferred firm(s) then graciously thank them for the offer and say you'll need a moment to think. Then call them back as soon as you get another offer.  Declining offers is a reality for many. Would you even want to keep your options open at a firm who blacklisted you because they weren't your first choice when you were in 2L?

• Thanks 1

OzLaw16
  • Lawyer
8 minutes ago, MapleLeafs said:

Also, I'm not sure how you really burn bridges by declining an offer, unless you told the firm that they're your first choice and you are reneging from that. 

This. Firms understand that some of the candidates they give offers to will get other offers. As long as you didn’t tell a firm they’re your first choice and then reject their offer, nobody will take it personally that you rejected their offer. 

• Thanks 1

litigatortobe
  • Law Student

Thank you so much for all your thoughts! Yes, I didn't tell them they were my first choice, so I think it should be ok to keep options open. 

frankconners
  • Lawyer

Speaking from the other side - I just called a candidate with an offer and they were, frankly, quite rude and essentially acted as though they didn't want to give us the time of day.

Definitely left a poor impression and while it'll be super unlikely that this candidate joins us, it's something we'll remember going forward, at least in the short term.

I get that a number of you are stellar candidates with lots of options, but there's no need to be rude.

• Like 3
  • Angry 2

PePeHalpert
  • Lawyer

We had a candidate who told us we were their first choice decline an offer with us.  Very poor form and not a good start to this person's professional reputation. 

• Like 5
  • Angry 2

disgruntledpelican
  • Lawyer
On 11/4/2021 at 8:52 AM, PePeHalpert said:

We had a candidate who told us we were their first choice decline an offer with us.  Very poor form and not a good start to this person's professional reputation. 

Same at my firm. But I do question how long of a memory firms have. 

strugglebubble
  • Law Student

A piece of advice for students who are going to go through recruit in following years: be honest!!!!! I knew I was getting an offer and had a call with the firm and told them I wouldn't be accepting. It was definitely a difficult decision because I didn't want to close doors, but I also didn't want to waste anyone's time. Of course, I thanked them for their time and was polite about it, and they appreciated the honesty. Doors didn't end up being closed and I will definitely have a good relationship with the firm moving forward. Honesty is definitely the way to go!! 

• Like 1