Is it okay to email a firm and tell them you're "strongly interested" after FC-ing a different firm?

lawstudent106

lawstudent106

I first-choiced a firm last night, they responded and told me I was an impressive candidate and hoped that I would have a relaxing day. I don't think thats indicative that its a sure thing by any means so just wondering if it okay to email my second-choice that I would be "strongly interested" in working there and have enjoyed meeting everyone etc..

Note: My second-choice doesn't do day 2 or day 3 interviews so I haven't spoken to them since Monday, but I think it went well then. 

Thanks!

PePeHalpert
  • Lawyer

Yes, that's fine as long as you don't use first choice language with more than one firm.   Your second choice firm will understand that you are making a conscious choice not to tell them "first choice" and will understand what "strongly interested" means. 

lawstudent106
12 minutes ago, PePeHalpert said:

Yes, that's fine as long as you don't use first choice language with more than one firm.   Your second choice firm will understand that you are making a conscious choice not to tell them "first choice" and will understand what "strongly interested" means. 

Thank you! Is telling a firm that you can "see yourself working and growing a practice there" necessarily first choice language?

• Like 1

lawfacade123
  • Law Student
7 minutes ago, lawstudent106 said:

Thank you! Is telling a firm that you can "see yourself working and growing a practice there" necessarily first choice language?

Not really. The magic words are 'first' or 'top' choice, because if you decline them when offers come out you were lying and that's a bad look. 

I said something like "I think x firm would be a great place for me to begin my legal career and grow a practice". They were not my top choice and I got an offer from them. When I declined they were gracious about it, so I don't think saying that was wrong. 

OzLaw16
  • Lawyer

I guess it may differ based on the individual recruiter/recruitment team, but at least at my firm, our student recruiter has made it clear that they only consider “this firm is my top choice” or “I would accept an offer from you if I got one” (or something very similar to those) as first choice language. Saying how interested you are in the firm, how excited you are, how you think you’d be a great fit, etc. isn’t considered to be the “magic words.”

PePeHalpert
  • Lawyer
44 minutes ago, OzLaw16 said:

I guess it may differ based on the individual recruiter/recruitment team, but at least at my firm, our student recruiter has made it clear that they only consider “this firm is my top choice” or “I would accept an offer from you if I got one” (or something very similar to those) as first choice language. Saying how interested you are in the firm, how excited you are, how you think you’d be a great fit, etc. isn’t considered to be the “magic words.”

My firm takes the same approach.   Anything else, including "I can see myself working here", is seen for what it is: an intentional decision to skirt first choice language.

When I did recruit, I first-choiced my top firm and told the rest they were one of my top choices. Ended up getting multiple offers from the "top choices" firms.

• Like 1