Job Offer: How to Accept

WUDALA

Have you ever accepted a job offer before or known anyone who was given an offer of employment?

You get an offer over the phone, once you determine if you'll accept you say "I'll accept" and then they typically send you the written offer with all the terms relevant and you sign that and return to the sender. 

You’ll accept it verbally on the phone. Expect that it will be a pretty quick call - you won’t get details like salary, start date, etc at that point. You will eventually get some form of written contract to sign that will have those details. This comes later - likely weeks later, so don’t worry. They’re not going to back out of it. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lawman2023 said:

Is it okay to ask the salary on the phone call?

Yes (presumably after you’ve accepted) but if it’s not one of the big firms where the salary amount is already widely known, the person on the call may not actually know off the top. I’ll be extending an offer, for example, and I don’t know what it is at this point. They can follow up and get back to you about it easily enough though. 

Lawman2023
  • Law Student
5 minutes ago, Blurg said:

Yes (presumably after you’ve accepted) but if it’s not one of the big firms where the salary amount is already widely known, the person on the call may not actually know off the top. I’ll be extending an offer, for example, and I don’t know what it is at this point. They can follow up and get back to you about it easily enough though. 

Thank you for your response. I interviewed at a couple boutique firms and I haven’t been able to find any salary information online. Just wanted to make sure it wasn’t inappropriate 

iceprincess
  • Law Student

On 11/3/2021 at 3:56 PM, Blurg said:

You’ll accept it verbally on the phone. Expect that it will be a pretty quick call - you won’t get details like salary, start date, etc at that point. You will eventually get some form of written contract to sign that will have those details. This comes later - likely weeks later, so don’t worry. They’re not going to back out of it. 

Does the written contract always come weeks later? My firm said they will probably send something late next week for us to sign. 

lawfacade123
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, iceprincess said:

Does the written contract always come weeks later? My firm said they will probably send something late next week for us to sign. 

No. I think there's a high level of variance. Don't stress! I'm sure they will send it late next week then.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, iceprincess said:

No not always. I said “likely”. It’s going to be different for each firm but invariably every year students start freaking out when they don’t have their contact with a few days or a week. Don’t freak out. You have the job (and congrats on that!)

• Like 1

iceprincess
  • Law Student
19 hours ago, Blurg said:

No not always. I said “likely”. It’s going to be different for each firm but invariably every year students start freaking out when they don’t have their contact with a few days or a week. Don’t freak out. You have the job (and congrats on that!)

On 11/6/2021 at 4:25 PM, lawfacade123 said:

No. I think there's a high level of variance. Don't stress! I'm sure they will send it late next week then.

Thanks for the reassurance!