Chance me please :) cGPA 3.11 , L2 3.47 & L3 3.49, LSAT 165

Cmoney98

Hola,

I know my GPA is below median. I also completed two 8-month Co-ops throughout my degree. I am looking at the following schools:

• Western
  • Dalhousie
  • Calgary
  • Windsor
  • Sask

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Thrive92
  • Applicant

Hi OP. May I ask what gpa scale you used to calculate your GPA? is it from OLSAS, 4.33, or from the Alberta schools? This is because for some of the schools that you are looking at, the gpa scale they use (therefore your gpa calculations) may be different.

Calgary takes on a more holistic approach than others which may strictly look at your stats. What are your ECs like? Do you have 2 years or more of work experience? If not, do you have a valid reason that you would like to share on your PS? Keep in mind that if you have repeated courses, Calgary would look at your highest score if both fall under your last 20 courses. If one falls outside of the last 20 courses and the repeat in the last 20 courses, the school will only look at the latter.

I would say that you are likely to be admitted later on the cycle thanks to your high LSAT score, but it is a close call. I think you will most definitely get waitlisted at least.

Saskatchewan looks at your best 2 academic years -- these years do not need to be consecutive, but you must have at least 24 credits in the fall and spring semester of the year (summer semester is not included). They also place a little more weight on what they consider "saskatchewan connection" -- if you or any of your immediate family members (partner, siblings, parents, grandparents) are or have previously attended the university of elementary/high schools or have resided in the province, you will be given "slight" preference. This is also the case if you are a resident of the Territories, PEI and NF.

Without the connection, I would say that you are likely to be admitted, but again later in the cycle. However, I think you have a higher chance to be admitted to Saskatchewan than in Calgary.

For Dalhousie, there is an index formula that you can use to determine the likelihood that you will be admitted:

[(GPA/4.3)*60]+[(LSAT–120)*40/60]

An index score over 80 usually means that you are competitive.

I can't give you advice for the other schools as I dont know anything about Ontario schools, but why aren't you applying to Alberta as well? Based on your stats, you are also likely to be admitted there as well (Alberta is a stats - emphasis school, and so I can give you a more definitive likelihood that you will get accepted there).

Good luck.

37 minutes ago, Cmoney98 said:

Hola,

I know my GPA is below median. I also completed two 8-month Co-ops throughout my degree. I am looking at the following schools:

• Western
  • Dalhousie
  • Calgary
  • Windsor
  • Sask

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Windsor is hard to predict.

You have a good shot to USask.

Why not apply to TRU and Manitoba as well?

59 minutes ago, Thrive92 said:

Hi OP. May I ask what gpa scale you used to calculate your GPA? is it from OLSAS, 4.33, or from the Alberta schools? This is because for some of the schools that you are looking at, the gpa scale they use (therefore your gpa calculations) may be different.

Calgary takes on a more holistic approach than others which may strictly look at your stats. What are your ECs like? Do you have 2 years or more of work experience? If not, do you have a valid reason that you would like to share on your PS? Keep in mind that if you have repeated courses, Calgary would look at your highest score if both fall under your last 20 courses. If one falls outside of the last 20 courses and the repeat in the last 20 courses, the school will only look at the latter.

I would say that you are likely to be admitted later on the cycle thanks to your high LSAT score, but it is a close call. I think you will most definitely get waitlisted at least.

Saskatchewan looks at your best 2 academic years -- these years do not need to be consecutive, but you must have at least 24 credits in the fall and spring semester of the year (summer semester is not included). They also place a little more weight on what they consider "saskatchewan connection" -- if you or any of your immediate family members (partner, siblings, parents, grandparents) are or have previously attended the university of elementary/high schools or have resided in the province, you will be given "slight" preference. This is also the case if you are a resident of the Territories, PEI and NF.

Without the connection, I would say that you are likely to be admitted, but again later in the cycle. However, I think you have a higher chance to be admitted to Saskatchewan than in Calgary.

For Dalhousie, there is an index formula that you can use to determine the likelihood that you will be admitted:

[(GPA/4.3)*60]+[(LSAT–120)*40/60]

An index score over 80 usually means that you are competitive.

I can't give you advice for the other schools as I dont know anything about Ontario schools, but why aren't you applying to Alberta as well? Based on your stats, you are also likely to be admitted there as well (Alberta is a stats - emphasis school, and so I can give you a more definitive likelihood that you will get accepted there).

Good luck.

Hi wow, thank you for such a detailed reply.

This is calculated using OLSAS. 

As far as my extracurriculars go i have a few. I was a director for a school charity event which was successful, a member of our student business association and a Co-op program ambassador as well. I would also say that yes I have over 2 years (professional) work experience combined with my 2 different Co-ops.

As for why I didn't add UofA is because from what I understood is that I don't stand a chance there with my stats, but it is definitely a school I would be interested in.

Thank you for the help!

56 minutes ago, NowOrNever said:

Windsor is hard to predict.

You have a good shot to USask.

Why not apply to TRU and Manitoba as well?

I can't seem to find any admission data on TRU so I didn't think about it. Do you know the averages? I will dig into Manitoba. 

Thanks!

Thrive92
  • Applicant
27 minutes ago, Cmoney98 said:

Hi wow, thank you for such a detailed reply.

This is calculated using OLSAS. 

As far as my extracurriculars go i have a few. I was a director for a school charity event which was successful, a member of our student business association and a Co-op program ambassador as well. I would also say that yes I have over 2 years (professional) work experience combined with my 2 different Co-ops.

As for why I didn't add UofA is because from what I understood is that I don't stand a chance there with my stats, but it is definitely a school I would be interested in.

Thank you for the help!

Both OLSAS and Calgary and Alberta uses a 4.0 gpa scale, but they consider the letter grades - to - gpa differently: while OLSAS considers an A to be a 3.9 and an A+ to be a 4.0, Alberta and Calgary both consider these two letter grades to be 4.0. So depending on how many A you have in your last 20 courses/60 credits, your gpa may be higher than the OLSAS calculation.

Alberta uses your last 60 credits, and if your gpa for that calculations is 3.47 and an LSAT score of 165, I would say that you will have a chance later on in the cycle. Don't be discouraged by the last cycle's stats -- they were unusually competitive compared to the cycles before it. I would say its worth applying.