Does anyone know what the requirements are to be admitted to Umanitoba?

JudgingJudy

JudgingJudy
  • Law School Admit

Im wondering if they do L2 (last two years) or are they heavily focused on CGPA, or a rising level of gpa throughout undergrad? Are they more focused on volunteer and work related experience? What about access categories? 

Ive read up on them online - but id like to hear from ppl who are attending or have known someone who got in and how Manitoba works with applicant stats. 

Please and thank you. 

Timmy23
  • Applicant

I know they look at your cGPA, but they drop a certain number of your lowest credits. If you've completed your degree, they drop the lowest 25% of credits. I don't believe L2 is a factor, although I'm sure an upward trend in your GPA is a plus.

Also volunteer and work experience is a non-factor (at least for the general category) as they don't have any section on the application to fill in any information about these, nor do they take a personal statement for general applicants.

Edited by Timmy23
  • Like 2

JudgingJudy
  • Law School Admit
17 minutes ago, Timmy23 said:

I know they look at your cGPA, but they drop a certain number of your lowest credits. If you've completed your degree, they drop the lowest 25% of credits. I don't believe L2 is a factor, although I'm sure an upward trend in your GPA is a plus.

Also volunteer and work experience is a non-factor (at least for the general category) as they don't have any section on the application to fill in any information about these, nor do they take a personal statement for general applicants.

Theres no personal statement? wait so we are only applying with just stats? I am access but idk if that's even category here 

Timmy23
  • Applicant
2 hours ago, lawyer3456 said:

Theres no personal statement? wait so we are only applying with just stats? I am access but idk if that's even category here 

2 hours ago, maybemaybe said:

I think there is a ps component but like most other law schools, gpa and lsat are king

There is a PS and resume requirement but only for indigenous and "individual consideration" (access I guess?) applicants, not for general applicants.

• Like 1

TheDevilIKnow
  • Articling Student

This document (unfortunately still dated as of last year) explains these things in painstaking detail. Hopefully still accurate for this cycle: https://umanitoba.ca/student/admissions/media/law_bulletin.pdf

Manitoba is odd, but not completely alone, in not requiring a PS in the general category. Off the top of my head for the Western schools, U of S also does not require one (although you fill in a mandatory box in the application about "Saskatchewan Connection". I found it somewhat odd applying to these schools without being explained why I wanted to go there!

• Like 1

brokenegg
  • Law School Admit
7 hours ago, TheDevilIKnow said:

This document (unfortunately still dated as of last year) explains these things in painstaking detail. Hopefully still accurate for this cycle: https://umanitoba.ca/student/admissions/media/law_bulletin.pdf

Manitoba is odd, but not completely alone, in not requiring a PS in the general category. Off the top of my head for the Western schools, U of S also does not require one (although you fill in a mandatory box in the application about "Saskatchewan Connection". I found it somewhat odd applying to these schools without being explained why I wanted to go there!

Sask does require a PS - I applied this cycle. The limit is 500 words. You upload it into the application after paying your fees. 

• Like 2

colombianskiingteam
  • Applicant
On 11/6/2021 at 2:33 PM, Timmy23 said:

Do you know how it would work if you've taken more classes than just a single degree? This is one of the issues lowering my AGPA, I have 135/120 CH that were needed to graduate with no class repeats & the bulletin only specifies it removes 30 for anyone with the 120CH.

I have a bunch of mediocre grades associated with classes not needed for my degree due to not knowing what I wanted to do early on & now this lowers my AGPA calculation considerably. If they only look at the 120 CH needed for graduation it will skew my index score upward roughly 2 points. When I emailed admissions the answer wasn't exactly clear so now I'm anxious & contemplating rewriting in January to try & improve a 164. 

Timmy23
  • Applicant
4 hours ago, colombianskiingteam said:

Do you know how it would work if you've taken more classes than just a single degree? This is one of the issues lowering my AGPA, I have 135/120 CH that were needed to graduate with no class repeats & the bulletin only specifies it removes 30 for anyone with the 120CH.

I have a bunch of mediocre grades associated with classes not needed for my degree due to not knowing what I wanted to do early on & now this lowers my AGPA calculation considerably. If they only look at the 120 CH needed for graduation it will skew my index score upward roughly 2 points. When I emailed admissions the answer wasn't exactly clear so now I'm anxious & contemplating rewriting in January to try & improve a 164. 

Unfortunately I'm not sure how that would work, but I don't think they would pick and choose which classes to drop, I think they just drop your lowest 25% of courses. What did the admissions office say exactly when you asked them?

colombianskiingteam
  • Applicant
2 hours ago, Timmy23 said:

Unfortunately I'm not sure how that would work, but I don't think they would pick and choose which classes to drop, I think they just drop your lowest 25% of courses. What did the admissions office say exactly when you asked them?

To look in the application bulletin for the information I was looking for lmao. It was entirely not helpful 

sunshine
  • Law School Admit
On 11/11/2021 at 9:23 AM, colombianskiingteam said:

From Section 4(a) pg 9: "The AGPA is calculated using graded credit hours, whether completed on a full or part time basis, in undergraduate or graduate programs, or in Regular, Evening or Summer Sessions. Courses completed outside of a degree will also be included, providing they are from an accredited institution, and at university degree level."  Hopefully this helps!