Is there any school in Canada that can work for my personal application?

JudgingJudy

JudgingJudy
  • Law School Admit

My cgpa is poor due to certain circumstances which I have documentation and explanation for. My l2 is much much better. Like an A-. 

My lsat is a mid 150 and my extra curriculars are strong. My reference letters are also strong. 

Is there any law school - in Canada I should consider applying too? 

Edited by lawyer3456

Renerik
  • Law Student

Look at schools that focus on your L2/L20/B2.
TRU - UofA - UofC - USask - UMan - Dal - Queens* - UWO* (*they take cgpa into account while the others don't).

• Like 3

JudgingJudy
  • Law School Admit
4 minutes ago, Renerik said:

Look at schools that focus on your L2/L20/B2.
TRU - UofA - UofC - USask - UMan - Dal - Queens* - UWO* (*they take cgpa into account while the others don't).

So I was doing research and it turns out UMan - doesn't let you hand in personal statements - unless you are access. To me that seems like they are more focused on CGPA and LSAT. 😞

Thrive92
  • Applicant
6 minutes ago, lawyer3456 said:

My cgpa is poor due to certain circumstances which I have documentation and explanation for. My l2 is much much better. Like an A-. 

My lsat is a mid 150 and my extra curriculars are strong. My reference letters are also strong. 

Is there any law school - in Canada I should consider applying too? 

The documentation and explanation can be applied to L2 schools that have the access category, specifically TRU. U of Sask also have this category, but keep in mind that they focus on your best 2 years and for the category, they emphasize your lsat more than the GPA.

I would also recommend U of Calgary -- although they do not have an access category, they take a more holistic approach towards admissions and they look at your last 20 courses.

Good luck

• Thanks 1

Renerik
  • Law Student
15 minutes ago, lawyer3456 said:

My cgpa is poor due to certain circumstances which I have documentation and explanation for

7 minutes ago, lawyer3456 said:

So I was doing research and it turns out UMan - doesn't let you hand in personal statements - unless you are access. To me that seems like they are more focused on CGPA and LSAT.

Bruh, apply for "individual consideration" (access).

JudgingJudy
  • Law School Admit
3 minutes ago, Renerik said:

Bruh, apply for "individual consideration" (access).

I applied last year and got rejected at other schools so. But ill look into it thank you 

Edited by lawyer3456

JudgingJudy
  • Law School Admit
3 minutes ago, Rashabon said:

You should improve your LSAT. 

Thanks. I figured but ive tried and honestly im stuck at a 150 so idk. I have tried tutoring, ive tried different books. It wont move up so. 

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
Just now, lawyer3456 said:

Thanks. I figured but ive tried and honestly im stuck at a 150 so idk. I have tried tutoring, ive tried different books. It wont move up so. 

I'll be blunt - with a poor CGPA and a 150, you're unlikely to get into a law school, access claim or not. Access is more of a way for the law schools to take into account circumstances in your past that led to results that are not indicative of your potential and future results. As an outside observer, it seems that's more relevant for CGPA, or for a one time LSAT blip in your first year of applying. A 150 is really, really low for law school admissions.

• Like 4

Whist
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, lawyer3456 said:

My lsat is a mid 150

23 minutes ago, lawyer3456 said:

im stuck at a 150

Is your LSAT a mid-150 (what most interpret as 154-157) or a 150? 

JudgingJudy
  • Law School Admit
1 hour ago, Whist said:

Is your LSAT a mid-150 (what most interpret as 154-157) or a 150? 

its a 154 

• Nom! 1

JudgingJudy
  • Law School Admit
21 hours ago, Rashabon said:

I'll be blunt - with a poor CGPA and a 150, you're unlikely to get into a law school, access claim or not. Access is more of a way for the law schools to take into account circumstances in your past that led to results that are not indicative of your potential and future results. As an outside observer, it seems that's more relevant for CGPA, or for a one time LSAT blip in your first year of applying. A 150 is really, really low for law school admissions.

what's an lsat score that isn't too impossible to reach that can help me get accepted? if I am currently at a 154 what should I be aiming for? 

Thrive92
  • Applicant
16 minutes ago, JudgingJudy said:

what's an lsat score that isn't too impossible to reach that can help me get accepted? if I am currently at a 154 what should I be aiming for? 

With your L2 being an A- average (3.7ish), I would say you may have a decent shot at TRU at around 157 - 158ish in the access category for TRU (but its a close call).

For U of C and U of A, it would more likely be a 160 - 162

Edited by Thrive92
  • Thanks 1

JudgingJudy
  • Law School Admit
On 11/7/2021 at 4:32 PM, Thrive92 said:

With your L2 being an A- average (3.7ish), I would say you may have a decent shot at TRU at around 157 - 158ish in the access category for TRU (but its a close call).

For U of C and U of A, it would more likely be a 160 - 162

Forgot to say thank you, 🙂 !!!  

• Like 1