Should I work as an intern at Law Office?

harville

harville
  • Applicant

I am an applicant for Law school admission. My neighbor runs a Law Office in Toronto. Should I ask him for a place as an intern in his firm? Will it help? And Is it really worth asking for favor?

LordBONSAI
  • Applicant

Supposing you'll be applying as general, I don't think a short legal internship will distinguish your EC from others'. Law school admissions are mostly about numbers. With a decent gpa/lsat, you can be in without EC. But if you're genuinely interested that internship, then it's worth asking for the favour.  

erin otoole
  • Lawyer

If you're going to be working for free don't do it. Get literally any job for money and it will be a more impactful EC than a paper pusher undergrad at a law firm.  

• Like 1

Thrive92
  • Applicant

It will not hurt your application to intern in a law firm. However, as other posters have mentioned above, there is little point in working in a law firm for free when a similar weight can be applied EC - wise flipping burgers at mcdonalds. The difference there is that you get some pocket change for the latter.

Make It Rain Money GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants < - thats you choosing the latter option.