Disparity between my PS and what turns out to be in the future

dundermifflin

dundermifflin
  • Applicant

Hi everyone, 

I was wondering about whether law schools actually expect me to stick to what I wrote in my personal statement. 

For example, if I wrote that I want to become a human rights lawyer and help the poor but end up taking classes and doing ECs that are related to corporate law and eventually participate in OCIs to land a big law job, would this be an issue? 

• LOL 1

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
37 minutes ago, dambeking said:

would this be an issue?

No, but you may want to seek medical assistance. I can’t imagine living without a spine is easy. 

You should be honest in your personal statement not because the school will punish you for pursuing a different career, but because it is the principled thing to do. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • LOL 8

GGrievous
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, dundermifflin said:

would this be an issue? 

You’d likely just have to do some light jail time in lawyer prison, endure a few spankings, but I think it’s worth it to end up living your true dreams instead of helping the gross poor. So yes you should totally use human suffering to benefit your path to wealth. 

Edited by Barry
  • Like 3
  • LOL 2

Sparky
  • Law Student

OP, in all seriousness, the answer is no. No one cares what you wrote in your PS after you get into law school.

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

There was some article a few years back comparing the personal statements of UofT law students when they applied with the positions they took to start their careers. Unsurprisingly nearly every single one was a piece of shit who cynically and disingenuously wrote about wanting to save the world helping starving children in Africa or whatever and then ended up working for Halliburton basically.

So you'll fit right in.

No wonder nearly everyone hates lawyers.

Edited by CleanHands
  • Like 5
  • LOL 4

erin otoole
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, CleanHands said:

No wonder nearly everyone hates lawyers.

Can I still hate lawyers after I get my license? 

Edited by erin otoole
grammar is hard

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
4 minutes ago, erin otoole said:

Can I still hate lawyers after I get my license? 

There's no need for you to worry about that as I doubt you'll ever get licensed. 😛

• Sad 1

Renerik
  • Law Student

I think this conversation has run its course.

OP, don't write dishoneslty.

Admissions committees know that you're going into this semi-blind and your interests might change due to less dishonorable reasons than what's written above. You're not locked into one specialty and admins won't hold you to your PS.

• Like 4

• Renerik locked this topic