Yay or Nay: Personal Statement closer

PapaPetrovitch

PapaPetrovitch
  • Law Student

Ending the personal statement with  the closer  "I can confidently say that [X University] is my first choice, and if I am admitted, I will withdraw my other applications immediately." 

Of course this promise would only be made to one university (my top choice). 

This was listed as a "strong closer" in a 7sage article and I am contemplating whether to use it not. 

TobyFlenderson
  • Lawyer

Most LSAT prep companies that also do “full service” law school application help, like 7sage, are American-focused. I don’t know if that sort of “first choice” language is actually helpful or not in the States, but I’ve never heard of anyone including something like that in their personal statement.

Lots of people (everyone?) get accepted every year without including this sort of thing. I’d avoid it.

• Like 1

WiseGhost
  • Law Student

For Canada? X school is my first choice is good, but I wouldn't use "I would withdraw all my applications" as a closer

Lawllapalooza
  • Lawyer
52 minutes ago, PapaPetrovitch said:

Ending the personal statement interview with  the closer  "I can confidently say that [X University firm] is my first choice, and if I am admitted called at 5pm, I will withdraw my other applications accept immediately." 

there I fixed it.

Edit: but in all serious, there's no need to say that. Best of luck with your applications!

Edited by Lawllapalooza
  • LOL 1

scooter
  • Law Student

Schools in the US are especially concerned with yield (% of accepted candidates who end up attending the school) because acceptance rate is part of the US News ranking score. ie They want to send out the fewest possible acceptances to fill their class. That is why 7sage and others might suggest saying something like this, although I think it's kinda dumb even in the US. Just my personal opinion though.

Also, don't take lines from blog posts. Do you really want to have the same closing as countless other applicants because you all read it on 7sage?

• Like 2

PapaPetrovitch
  • Law Student

Thanks for the feedback everyone. The sentence has been axed.

12 hours ago, scooter said:

Also, don't take lines from blog posts. Do you really want to have the same closing as countless other applicants because you all read it on 7sage?

I was going to reword it for sure, but even then it would've been practically the same thing. 

• Like 2

LordBONSAI
  • Applicant

UofT has on its website some PS samples from a previous cycle and none of them included that closer.

As a side note, most PS samples online are tailored for law schools in the US. Back in summer, I read a couple of PS that got applicants into T14 and a few of them even didn't touch on law at all, which probably will raise a red-flag to Canadian adcomms.

Edited by LordBONSAI

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
4 minutes ago, Barry said:

I’m gonna use this line when I ask women out. 

"I can confidently say that you are my first choice of romantic partner, and if you reciprocate my affections I will immediately abandon my pursuit of all other women."

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

Kobe
  • Law Student

Keep in mind this type of statement is tailored to the American system. 

13 hours ago, scooter said:

Schools in the US are especially concerned with yield (% of accepted candidates who end up attending the school) because acceptance rate is part of the US News ranking score. ie They want to send out the fewest possible acceptances to fill their class. 

In the US yield is important, you may even be waitlisted at a school if your stats are too strong. Canada does not have the same type of competition for students in order to fulfill rankings objectives. I think admissions teams are pretty agnostic here about if you accept an offer or not. 

Unless you plan on using this at American schools I would not bother, it might even be looked at a little weird. It would probably be better to just say X school is your top choice and why.