W on transcript

jnstp

jnstp
  • Applicant

Had 4 W's in first year and basically took that semester off due to family issues. From that point on, got A's in every semester. I'm in my 3rd year now and I have 5 courses, I want to reduce my course load but I don't know how law schools will react to another W on my transcript, especially because it is going to be a part of my last 60 credits. Will this affect my chances of getting into law school at all? 

Thrive92
  • Applicant

This is highly dependent on the schools you are considering applying to. Each school may have different gpa policies in regards to "W" grades.

Which school are you thinking of applying to?

jnstp
  • Applicant
39 minutes ago, Thrive92 said:

This is highly dependent on the schools you are considering applying to. Each school may have different gpa policies in regards to "W" grades.

Which school are you thinking of applying to?

Thinking of applying to most of the L2 schools. UofA and Dalhousie are my first choices though. 

Thrive92
  • Applicant
13 minutes ago, jnstp said:

Thinking of applying to most of the L2 schools. UofA and Dalhousie are my first choices though. 

U of A skips over W grades (as in, do not consider the grades to exist).

Dalhousie does not consider W grades when calculating an applicant's gpa.

Considering the fact that both schools completely ignore W grades, I would assume that they would not draw any negative inference with your W grades. You are good.

As for other L2 schools like Calgary and TRU, they also have similar policies in the sense that they ignore any W grades.

Good luck

Edited by Thrive92

• 2 months later...
Mierce
  • Applicant

For what it's worth, I have a whopping 13 Ws on my undergrad transcript and I have offers from UBC and Osgoode with an 82%/3.41 GPA. I did write a bit of an explanation in my personal statement for why some of those Ws happened.

Edit: just realized how old this post was. Was scrolling back on the forum as I'm sitting in a break in my class lol.

Edited by Mierce
  • Thanks 1

VitalGiraffe
  • Law Student
19 hours ago, Mierce said:

For what it's worth, I have a whopping 13 Ws on my undergrad transcript and I have offers from UBC and Osgoode with an 82%/3.41 GPA. I did write a bit of an explanation in my personal statement for why some of those Ws happened.

Edit: just realized how old this post was. Was scrolling back on the forum as I'm sitting in a break in my class lol.

Me as well. I had many Ws and even an F. I also had a documented explanation.