Chance Me: cGPA/L2 3.3-3.5 (possibly lower), 170+ LSAT, depressed accounting student

reihino

reihino
  • Applicant

Hi, so I'm halfway through my third year of accounting in a coop program. My wish since first year was to go to law school and I was involved in ECs and electives that would help me explore that, though I focused on my business interests once I got into coop. I'll graduate sometime after Fall 2023 (or summer the year after if I do a Grad Diploma), since I have one more work term to go.

So I have no idea how to approach my GPA but I've done pretty good on practice tests (though I've mostly done lots of older ones through a .zip file I got from a 1L and done mostly Khan Academy w/ LSAT Trainer, I'm kinda insecure if whether or not my score is really accurate). To be honest, I haven't really looked into law schools since I got into coop and started my third year. 

My grades aren't the best so far and I'm really questioning whether or not to continue pursuing my CPA. I've spent all of my work terms at a Big 4 Accounting firm and I've loved my time there. I also have strong ECs, and I'd like to think my work experience is an asset as well. Though, I've been really demoralized over the low averages in my program (last accounting midterm came back, uncurved avg being a 56 lmao, my other courses aren't much higher) and having severe impostor syndrome, even doubting my interest in accounting. I've also dealt with some personal adversity being LGBT+ and dealing with mental illness (though I probably won't be able to expand on this anyways).

I know in law school I'll probably experience a lot of this anyways but my grades definitely don't seem like they'd be competitive when I graduate and I'm afraid I won't have good letters of reference that aren't work related.

Should I see if I'm still interested as a mature applicant or shoot my shot regardless? Any help or insight is appreciated!

EDIT: Ideally I'd love to stay within Ontario but I have connections in BC!

Edited by reihino

WiseGhost
  • Law Student

The grade thing is difficult because of the low averages in your program. However, having a 3.5 gpa and a 170+ lsat would definitely make your application competitive at Windsor, Ryerson, and potentially elswhere in Ontario. There is also the possibility of applying access if you have dealt with adversity because of your sexual identity or mental illness (the key would be finding a way to document this and make a case that it will no longer impact you negatively). Access is not a magic bullet, but it would help you explain your situation. 

Your worry about having no good LORs is entirely fixable. Establish good relationships with some of your profs now and work to excel in their courses (you don't need an A, just try to be significantly above average!). If you shoot for law now you have a good chance, particularly if you're doing well on the LSAT without much study. 

Edited by villiuski