Chance me please? cGPA 3.02/ L2 3.5/ LSAT 160

Pittielynn

Pittielynn
  • Law Student

I worked 2 part-time jobs for the duration of my undergrad, I hold a masters degree (stats above are for my undergrad), I've worked the past 8 years - finally pursuing a dream that far too many told me I would never see...

Hoping to stay in the maritimes - Dal (Schulich School of Law) preferably! 

• Like 1

lawap12
  • Applicant

Your lsat is right on the Dal median (160-164), and both of your GPAs are below. cGPA significantly below, L2 is a little closer, but still not on the median (3.7).

reading your post, you seem like a mature applicant, and I’m not sure how they’d weigh your life / work experience against that.

long story short, I have no idea. The median lsat + work experience might be enough, but Dal weighs GPA at 60%, and LSAT at 40% for admissions consideration, and your GPA could very well be your downfall. 

My (very unprofessional and definitely don’t take this to heart) opinion is that you’re like a 50/50 shot either way.

anyone else?

Edited by lawap12
  • Like 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
21 minutes ago, lawap12 said:

My (very unprofessional and definitely don’t take this to heart) opinion is that you’re like a 50/50 shot either way.

anyone else?

I think that's generous.

WiseGhost
  • Law Student

Masters GPA? If your masters GPA is higher than your undergrad, it could indicate to adcoms that you have the academic skills to do well in law school, even if your grades were impacted by working part time during your bachelors. 

I agree with @lawap12 that you definitely have a shot. The maritimes connection should help, but I'm really not sure about your chances! It's harder to know what traits schools value for mature students. You would likely have a better chance if you improved your LSAT to a 165 or better. 

Edited by villiuski

lawap12
  • Applicant
34 minutes ago, villiuski said:

Masters GPA? If your masters GPA is higher than your undergrad, it could indicate to adcoms that you have the academic skills to do well in law school, even if your grades were impacted by working part time during your bachelors. 

I agree with @lawap12 that you definitely have a shot. The maritimes connection should help, but I'm really not sure about your chances! It's harder to know what traits schools value for mature students. You would likely have a better chance if you improved your LSAT to a 165 or better. 

I believe OP stated that both of those numbers are undergrad GPAs

35 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

I think that's generous.

I honestly do think it could go either way, but I’d be more surprised if OP got accepted. 

Thrive92
  • Applicant
On 11/12/2021 at 5:01 AM, Pittielynn said:

I worked 2 part-time jobs for the duration of my undergrad, I hold a masters degree (stats above are for my undergrad), I've worked the past 8 years - finally pursuing a dream that far too many told me I would never see...

Hoping to stay in the maritimes - Dal (Schulich School of Law) preferably! 

OP keep in mind that Dalhousie also considers the grades of the courses you have taken after your degree (including your masters) into calculation. If your masters gpa is higher than your 3.5 L2 from your undergrad, your chances of being admitted may increase significantly.

However, with the 3.5 L2 and a 160, I would say it is difficult to assess. Although you are below the median stats for the school, it is not by much, and so the chances of you getting admitted or waitlisted are higher than the chances of you being outright rejected.

Good luck

• Thanks 1

What about also appyling to UNB? They will drop the lowest 25% of your marks, and use a 4.3 scale. They favour maritime applicants, and also would let you apply discretionary because of your work experience. I would recalculate your gpa, and you might have really competitive stats.  https://www.unb.ca/fredericton/law/admissions/first-year/admissions-requirements.html

Edited by katiecan

Renerik
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, katiecan said:

What about also appyling to UNB? They will drop the lowest 25% of your marks, and use a 4.3 scale. They favour maritime applicants, and also would let you apply discretionary because of your work experience. I would recalculate your gpa, and you might have really competitive stats.  https://www.unb.ca/fredericton/law/admissions/first-year/admissions-requirements.html

UNB does NOT favour NS residents. Only those from NB, PEI, NL.
image.thumb.png.b64cd71e5b069bbc7a06c928ee1d00ff.png