Defer

Maritime Man

Maritime Man
  • Applicant

This has been asked before but I’m hoping to get more answers if possible.

And because I’m applying quite generally in Canada, it’s for me to narrow down to specific schools.

But I am wondering if anyone has ever deferred their offer one year for financial reasons? Perhaps you couldn’t afford it or needed to save - is this acceptable or possible? 

Thanks.

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

Generally that is not a valid reason for deferral. For many reasons.

You shouldn't be applying to a cycle if you are financially unable to go to school that cycle. Also, nearly every law student obtains student loans and a line of credit to attend law school, and unless you are making a very high income (in which case you'd be in a better financial situation than the vast majority of law students, so having to defer for financial reasons would make no sense) the opportunity cost of delaying law school for a year wouldn't be worth it.

• Like 1

Whist
  • Law Student

If you had a sudden severe financial crisis after you committed to a school, maybe. But in general, no, deferrals would be for unexpected and difficult personal concerns that may arise, like the death of a family member overseas and you need to go take care of their kids for a year or something. (Or if you’re TRU and you force some students to defer because you overadmitted…) If you apply, you’re putting yourself forward to take on the costs of law school.

• Like 1