Is a part-time job during law school a good idea?

Khrisse

Khrisse
  • Law Student

Hi all! I’ve applied to start next September and am keeping my fingers crossed for positive responses. For context, I’ll be an older student (mid-40s) with two BAs, a Master’s degree, and a 15-year career. I’m wanting to set myself up to do as well as I possibly can, but I also know law school’s expensive and I’d like to finish up with as little debt as possible. I might be able to pitch my current employer on keeping me on for a small number of hours per week, or find some other part-time work. Current and former students - is this a good idea given the workload? Is it even doable, if you want to get good grades? Did/do you work part-time while studying, and how did it work out for you? I appreciate any perspective people can give. 

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

It's doable in terms of time commitment and workload.

However that's time that you could instead be spending on relevant volunteering opportunities, which are valuable learning opportunities and help you demonstrate interest and at least some experience in relevant areas of law that you may want to pursue jobs in (in addition to allowing you to do something meaningful and keep you grounded). Missing out on (or at least reducing) this aspect of the law school experience would be my bigger concern than workload/grades.

• Like 2

It is definitely doable but requires an incredible degree of time management, sacrifice and commitment. I did it and I can attest to you just how tiring it was to work and maintain good grades. I also missed out on doing a lot of things. That said, whether you can do it, as oppose to others, is a totally different matter. 

Your ability to work while studying is going to depend on both your ability to learn and time management. If you cannot learn in a restricted amount of time, perhaps even while exhausted after working, then I would not recommend working while in school. Likewise, if you struggle with time management and have other things that will be pulling at you (i.e., family, a desire for social life) I would not recommend working while studying. So you need to really reflect on who you are as a person in order to answer whether you can do it. 

In general, I think most people can actually work throughout school and get good grades if they apply themselves and are willing to sacrifice things. But, not everyone is willing to make this bargain and there is certainly exceptions to the general rule. 

• Like 1

GGrievous
  • Law Student

I personally wouldn't recommend it for the first semester. It was/is a very overwhelming and confusing time for me. I realize this could just be me, but maybe see how it goes for you and then apply for the job once you see how it is/how you're managing. 

Edited by Barry
  • Like 1

Monet
  • Law Student

I'm a 1L with a PT job. I only work once per week, and I don't think I could have done more without feeling trapped. I feel on top of my school work right now, and if my grades are low I don't think it will be because of my job.

Working once per week doesn't make a huge difference in my bank account, so if I was only working for money I don't think it would be worth it. Personally, I have stayed at my job because I really appreciate the social aspect. Zoom school is lonely, so going to a physical place where I have friends is a huge relief.  My job is also very easy, and not something I have to think about at home. When classes are finally in person I don't think I will continue to work. I imagine I will get too tired from commuting etc. and would rather be at home. 

In short, I do agree with the general sentiment: if you don't need to work, don't do it. But I will add, if your work improves your mental health... it may not be a bad idea.  

• Like 2

TheDevilIKnow
  • Lawyer

This used to come up frequently on the old site, often with lots of replies as I recall. To be honest, with all respect to other posters, I really think that this is an individual thing that no one can predict for you. This is not to say that the experiences of others are not valuable to consider as examples - but I think it is dangerous to extrapolate them to yourself.

"Can I work during law school" is really just a variation of "How hard is law school?" If you're one of the folks for whom it all comes easily, then you will have time to devote to another job. If you're one of those for whom everything at law school seems overwhelming, then you'll be in big trouble very quickly. I have a friend working 20+ hours at their old job to keep costs down, and doing very well in school. I am also doing fine in school (2L), but would absolutely not be if I was working more than a few hours a week.

Because this is difficult to predict, I advise you to proceed with caution. I also echo @CleanHands' point about considering what other opportunities you might be passing up.

• Like 1

Psychometronic
  • Lawyer
9 hours ago, Khrisse said:

Hi all! I’ve applied to start next September and am keeping my fingers crossed for positive responses. For context, I’ll be an older student (mid-40s) with two BAs, a Master’s degree, and a 15-year career. I’m wanting to set myself up to do as well as I possibly can, but I also know law school’s expensive and I’d like to finish up with as little debt as possible. I might be able to pitch my current employer on keeping me on for a small number of hours per week, or find some other part-time work. Current and former students - is this a good idea given the workload? Is it even doable, if you want to get good grades? Did/do you work part-time while studying, and how did it work out for you? I appreciate any perspective people can give. 

I know someone who kept her job and worked part time during law school. It’s certainly doable, but that will also depend on how much time you think you need to devote to your studies (which will vary a lot). It’s actually quite common for upper years to have side jobs. Also, as CleanHands said, don’t underestimate the value of being involved at your law school. It makes for a richer experience generally and, more specifically, has the potential to forage key connections and open doors to interesting opportunities (depending on the area of law you want to pursue). You never know when these connections will come in handy.

• Like 1

Khrisse
  • Law Student

Thanks everyone. I’m hearing loud and clear that whether it’s a good idea has to be assessed individually, but you’re giving me the perspectives I was looking for. Of course, I don’t know as yet whether law school will be hard, easy or somewhere in between, for me. I’ve completed three degrees and worked in demanding jobs, so I’m optimistic - but of course law school and notoriously 1L are pretty heavy.

I do want to leave time for studying, getting involved and a bit of socializing, so definitely wasn’t thinking 20 hours, like @TheDevilIKnow’s friend. More like 8 hours /week, max. That said, my current work involves a lot of reading, writing and analysis, which is a lot like studying. It’s well-paid, which is great, but perhaps I should be looking to pull espresso shots or clean houses as a mental break? 

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

@Khrisse Is there any particular career path you had in mind going to law school? To my earlier point, depending on preferred practice area I just think the opportunities you could be exploring as a law student could be far more valuable than the income you could make with a part-time job. For me relevant 1L volunteering helped land a 1L job in my practice area, which in turn landed relevant clinics, an OCI job, relevant part-time 3L job, articles, etc. One thing built off another, and every open door had three more behind it. And I developed enduring mentorship relationships and connections even from the positions I moved on from. With the benefit of hindsight there's absolutely no way I would trade that for a bit of income from a part-time job (even a "well-paid" one). This is not even a question. But some jobs/practice areas/paths will care about these things less.

24 minutes ago, Khrisse said:

Of course, I don’t know as yet whether law school will be hard, easy or somewhere in between, for me. I’ve completed three degrees and worked in demanding jobs, so I’m optimistic - but of course law school and notoriously 1L are pretty heavy.

Like you I was older than most law students and had been around the block a bit and done some hard work before. While achieving competitive law grades can be very difficult or impossible for some people, in terms of the actual workload and pressure I would anticipate you will find it relatively easy compared to "demanding jobs" you have had. Yes, the perceived difficulty of law school is a very individual thing but I know almost nobody with a law degree and substantial work experience (including K-JDs who now have significant legal work experience) who considers law school one of the more demanding or challenging things they have done.

I do want to leave time for studying, getting involved and a bit of socializing, so definitely wasn’t thinking 20 hours, like @TheDevilIKnow’s friend. More like 8 hours /week, max. 

Totally doable. But again I still think that's 8 hours where you could be doing better things. You only get a JD once and there are an abundance of opportunities there that you won't have time or capacity for after graduating.

That said, my current work involves a lot of reading, writing and analysis, which is a lot like studying. It’s well-paid, which is great, but perhaps I should be looking to pull espresso shots or clean houses as a mental break? 

Almost every single law student does intellectual work and/or volunteering on top of the JD program. 8 more hours a week of reading, writing and analysis shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by CleanHands
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

Totally doable. But again I still think that's 8 hours where you could be doing better things. You only get a JD once and there are an abundance of opportunities there that you won't have time or capacity for after graduating.

I doubt eight hours per week will be too many in terms of workload. For ECs, it’s probably about whether working will create scheduling conflicts with certain clinical activities. Clinics operating based on court hours and supervising lawyer availability sometimes have more fixed times that they need students available. But I guess whether that might be an issue depends on how flexible OPs’ work schedule is, and the ECs they’re interested in. 

easttowest
  • Lawyer

I wouldn’t do it in the fall, until you have a sense of how law school works. I worked in a bar on the weekends in second semester of 1L. I hated losing my Saturdays for studying and inevitably didn’t work as hard on Sundays to make up for it as I planned, but the extra cash kept the lights on. BUT by that point I sort of knew how to do law school stuff. 

During my 1L summer I secured an RA position for 2L that paid probably less than the bar gig (it must have, but I don’t remember exactly, nor did I care) but was way easier to integrate with school, so I didn’t go back to the bar.

Edited by easttowest

LMP
  • Articling Student

I kept my job in 1L and for the most part it wasn't too bad. The real trouble comes during those one or two weeks when multiple responsibilities come into conflict. Make sure whoever you work under is aware that you might have such weeks and ensure there is something or someone in place to support you when you need it. 

Phaedrus
  • Lawyer

I worked PT in 2L (15-20 hr/wk) and almost full time in 3L (32hr/wk). The job was research-heavy, involved SME planning, as well as project proposal drafting. I also did ad hoc research for a professor and lawyer when needed. 

I value being more than a one-trick pony and found a sense of pride in balancing school, work and play. However, I took sage advice not to work in 1L. Adjusting to law school is demanding enough; there's little to gain from the distraction or interference a job can cause. 1L grades matter for summer positions and they matter for OCIs. I didn't want to gamble grades on pride, so I accepted a shoestring budget in favour of academic focus. Once I knew how the game was played, I secured great summer employment and stayed for the remainder of law school.

There are important considerations that factored into my decision. First, I knew I wasn't an A-level student. These students either 1) operate a stupidly high level and intuitively "get" legal study on a first pass basis (which I didn't), or 2) had enough time and sheer single-minded focus to earn stellar grades (which I didn't). I know what I am and that I wasn't going to stand out academically. I decided to find other ways to have fun and fill my resume at the same time. Second, I tend to believe that practical experience is an excellent way to get your foot in the door. If I didn't become a lawyer, I wanted an "out" and a network of references to find a job. Third, I knew where I was and was not going in my career. If Bay Street was a top priority, I would have opted to become a pure grinder (and risk those efforts not paying off because of the brilliance of my peers). 

Here are some quick thoughts:

• The money was never worth it. You'll earn a few extra dollars to buy beer or a meal out, but where the cost of tuition and living is $30k+ year it hardly makes a difference. The work and people were interesting, which kept me engaged when I felt burned out from ConLaw readings. 
  • Time management is key. Spending time working demands sacrificing social time, networking time, and time otherwise devoted to school. This is obvious, people often forget it and complain about never having enough time. Effective time manage is different from putting out fires, and your goal should be fire prevention through deliberate planning.
  • It's a marathon, not a race. I burned out by the end of 3L and have no shame in admitting that. I worked too much and spread myself too thin. Physical exercise and making sure I used my money to enjoy free time (beer, movies, meals with friends) were important for maintaining sanity.
  • Double down on legal networking. I didn't spend enough time doing this in 2L because, well, I was very busy. I'd advise anyone working to carve out consistent time to schedule coffees, attend mixers, and make cold-calls. Just because you worked in law school doesn't mean a firm will automatically hire you. Often, these jobs are unrelated to the practice area and your experience will have no value (unless you know how to sell that experience to the firm). 
  • There are no excuses. Your employer will not care that you have school. School will not care that you have work. Your friends will not care that you're too busy for them. Okay, maybe there is wiggle room with friends. The point is that your obligations are your obligations, and you have intentionally put pressure on yourself. If things start falling apart, the onus is on you to get yourself back on track and take immediate steps to prevent it from happening again.
Edited by Phaedrus
Added another thought.
  • Like 8

SNAILS
  • Articling Student

Don't work in  1L. Just study. And if you start feeling like you have too much time on your hands, do the optional readings.

If you do this, you will be alright come exam time.

HammurabiTime
  • Lawyer
7 hours ago, SNAILS said:

Don't work in  1L. Just study. And if you start feeling like you have too much time on your hands, do the optional readings.

If you do this, you will be alright come exam time.

Aren't you in first semester of 1L still? 

• Like 1

Pecan Boy
  • Articling Student
8 hours ago, SNAILS said:

And if you start feeling like you have too much time on your hands, do the optional readings.

don't do this

• Like 1

tiktok
  • Law Student

I worked 12-15 hours in my first semester of law school in addition to taking on volunteering positions. It was hell. Currently in 2L and working a part-time job and not doing any extracurriculars. Much more manageable. 

Edited by tiktok

GreyDude
  • Law Student
5 minutes ago, Rashabon said:

Because literally anything is better than doing optional readings to "fill time".

Well, sure. I took the suggestion as doing the optional readings if they "had time," and the reply as being about not doing work you're not required to do. It rubbed against my grain. 

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

Most optional readings are generally pointless in law school, but beyond that, the only original post was suggesting you shouldn't have free time on your hands outside of studying.

GreyDude
  • Law Student
1 minute ago, Rashabon said:

Most optional readings are generally pointless in law school, but beyond that, the only original post was suggesting you shouldn't have free time on your hands outside of studying.

I haven't experienced law school (yet, hopefully), but, having a little experience in post-secondary education, I know very few profs who recommend readings that they would agree were pointless. I expect this is a matter of just how goal-oriented the student is. Optional readings are usually for going more deeply into the material, beyond what is strictly needed to do well on exams. That's not pointless, but it's not attractive from a utilitarian point of view.

That said, re-reading the post that was being replied to, you're right about the message it was transmitting, and I'm not supporting the idea of doing nothing but study. That's silly, in my view. 

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

It's been a while since I was in school but my recollection is that unlike core course material, optional readings aren't exactly finely curated. So sometimes the prof might just list a bunch of random texts/articles/books that are tangential to the main learnings. In which case sure, if you're passionate about the topic, by all means use their list as a jumping off point. But broadly speaking they aren't necessary for an understanding of the law in that area, nor even a "deep" understanding (as far as law school goes) of that area.

If you're taking a history class and the professor says "by the way if you're interested, beyond this core textbook there are these 12 texts that discuss this area", I'd say reading them is pointless for 99% of students.

12 minutes ago, GreyDude said:

I haven't experienced law school (yet, hopefully), but, having a little experience in post-secondary education, I know very few profs who recommend readings that they would agree were pointless. I expect this is a matter of just how goal-oriented the student is. Optional readings are usually for going more deeply into the material, beyond what is strictly needed to do well on exams. That's not pointless, but it's not attractive from a utilitarian point of view.

I guess there are some legal concepts worth digging deeper into. But a lot of times, you really just want the practical knowledge. You poke through the materials to understand the issues to consider, the steps of an analysis, and probably most importantly the spelling of the case names, so that you can write them down when the prof says them. Beyond that, I'm not sure what goals people would have, or what depth there is to delve into. 

It's like learning to do a lot of things. If I read a recipe on how to make a frittata, a good recipe will tell me the ingredients and steps. That's all I need. I could read a lot of different recipes. And I could go deeper and really delve into the merits of stovetop vs baked dishes, or the history of the egg, but I'd rather just make lunch and move on with my day. After the first few weeks of law school, that's how I felt about readings. 

Edited by realpseudonym