2021 2L OCI Numbers

BlockedQuebecois

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

Ultra Vires published their 2L recruit special today (pages 6-7). 

Of note, overall hiring was up from 478 students in last year's recruit to 511 this year. Ryerson ended up with 27 students—or 18% of its class—hired, putting it alongside Windsor and above Ottawa/Dalhousie/McGill in the Toronto market, but lagging behind the 25% of Queens students who got hired.

Interestingly, for what seems like the first time Ultra Vires collected data re: number of students interviewed at the OCI stage and in-firm stage. For example, Blakes conducted OCIs for 289 students, invited 81 to in-firms, and hired 42 of them. Contrast that with a firm like Cassels, which interviewed 255, brought 91 into the firm, and hired 24.  

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
Inserted page numbers
  • Like 1

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer
15 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

For example, Blakes conducted OCIs for 289 students, invited 81 to in-firms, and hired 42 of them. Contrast that with a firm like Cassels, which interviewed 255, brought 91 into the firm, and hired 24.  

Goodmans with 70:15, yikes!

Really appreciating Beard Winter's 1 Person Attending OCIs --> 1 Person Attending In-Firms --> 1 Person Hired ratio here. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

MapleLeafs
  • Law Student

It looks like the increased number of Ontario law students with the addition of Ryerson isn't a problem for employers (at least until we hit a recession). The increase in summer students is pretty huge (especially compared to 2019) 

Deadpool
  • Lawyer

I am glad to see they posted the numbers for the OCI to in-firms to offer stage. This transparency is great for future students and also in easing unnecessary stress and mental health issues, as people know from the outset the odds of landing a position with a particular employer. For those that did not secure OCI jobs, I hope this will lessen the sting a little, as most of these employers interviewed a large contingent of students for a small number of jobs. I know many students rejected in this process are thinking "where did I go wrong", but this information provides some clarity in that it is a numbers game and some luck is involved. 

11 minutes ago, ZineZ said:

Really appreciating Beard Winter's 1 Person Attending OCIs --> 1 Person Attending In-Firms --> 1 Person Hired ratio here. 

I really appreciate Beard Winter’s name. The name has a rugged, “my apartment smells of rich mahogany” vibe. 

will ferrell anchorman GIF

• Like 2