Undergrad graduation

AMG

AMG
  • Law Student

My last course for my final year is going to be where I do two weeks abroad during the spring semester, so I will not be technically graduating until the fall convocation. Will this have any affect on me attending law school?

erin otoole
  • Lawyer

If I remember you got accepted at Windsor already. 

In my 1L there I know of a kid that "graduated late" just like you due to the strikes going on at York. The school as chill about it. However, I would still reach out to Windsor and play it safe, the last thing you want is to miss a year of law school because of a trip in your fourth year. Get all your ducks in a row with a thumbs up from the school. 

AMG
  • Law Student
13 minutes ago, erin otoole said:

If I remember you got accepted at Windsor already. 

In my 1L there I know of a kid that "graduated late" just like you due to the strikes going on at York. The school as chill about it. However, I would still reach out to Windsor and play it safe, the last thing you want is to miss a year of law school because of a trip in your fourth year. Get all your ducks in a row with a thumbs up from the school. 

Yes I have been accepted, happy and surprised I got it this early! I think I might do that, I can't see why it would be an issue as law schools do not actually require a full undergrad degree but rather play it safe. Don't wanna miss out on law school but also don't want to miss out on a trip I can get a credit for lol

Phaedrus
  • Lawyer

I knew someone who didn't officially graduate from their undergrad until September of 2L. They needed to satisfy a requirement for co-op distinction or something, and it never happened until the summer between 1L and 2L. Point being, law schools don't offer acceptance on a contingency that you have your degree in-hand. Otherwise, it'd be a requirement for application.

AMG
  • Law Student
4 minutes ago, Phaedrus said:

I knew someone who didn't officially graduate from their undergrad until September of 2L. They needed to satisfy a requirement for co-op distinction or something, and it never happened until the summer between 1L and 2L. Point being, law schools don't offer acceptance on a contingency that you have your degree in-hand. Otherwise, it'd be a requirement for application.

That's pretty much what I figured just wanted to be sure. Can't imagine law schools turning someone away because of one late course, so long as you're above 30 courses.

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

To offer a contrasting anecdote, although not directly applicable to OP, somebody in my first year was booted out when it came to light that they were enrolled in two universities at once without prior approval.

They were allowed to come back the following year and repeat 1L, but they lost their first semester’s tuition (~$13,000) and didn’t receive credit for the courses they had completed (as it came to light at the beginning of January).

So graduating late (or never) is definitely fine, but it’s something you should discuss with your schools if you have another course to complete. 

• Like 1

AMG
  • Law Student
7 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

To offer a contrasting anecdote, although not directly applicable to OP, somebody in my first year was booted out when it came to light that they were enrolled in two universities at once without prior approval.

They were allowed to come back the following year and repeat 1L, but they lost their first semester’s tuition (~$13,000) and didn’t receive credit for the courses they had completed (as it came to light at the beginning of January).

So graduating late (or never) is definitely fine, but it’s something you should discuss with your schools if you have another course to complete. 

For sure, I can definitely see why they had problems with this situation. My course will be all done by mid-June so should be fine. Just gonna email schools when/if I’m excepted to make sure I’m all clear!

That would hurt having to pay 1L tuition twice. He definitely took a job at Denton’s to pay that off🤣