Should I cancel my score

Green

Green
  • Applicant

I took the Lsat for the first time in November and scored 153. My gpa is around 3.65-3.67. Should I cancel my score or keep it? Do I have a chance at any school? 

Pendragon
  • Lawyer
11 minutes ago, Green said:

I took the Lsat for the first time in November and scored 153. My gpa is around 3.65-3.67. Should I cancel my score or keep it? Do I have a chance at any school? 

Why would you not cancel a 55th percentile LSAT score even if you had a 4.0 GPA?

Thrive92
  • Applicant

keep it fam.

score 170+ in the january one, then the adcom be like

friday ice GIF

and you get accepted with full scholarship and the dean's car

• LOL 1

Thrive92
  • Applicant

jokes aside, i dont think that there are any law schools in canada that does not take your highest LSAT score (although some may look at all of the scores even as they consider your highest). At this point, I doubt that it really matters whether you cancel or not

Thrive92
  • Applicant
3 minutes ago, villiuski said:

@Thrive92 McGill averages LSAT scores but I agree that there is no reason to cancel. 

angry clint eastwood GIF

why would they do such a thing?

1 minute ago, Green said:

Would I have any chance at ryerson windsor tru or any other school? 

I cant speak on the other schools but for TRU you may need a better LSAT score. Even by 5 points the chances of you getting in goes up dramatically.

• LOL 1

Kobe
  • Law Student
2 minutes ago, Green said:

There's always a small chance but not something to bet on. If you are applying next cycle and feel you could score better I would cancel and retake. If you already have apps in and want to see what happens with a 153 that won't really hurt you if decide to retake later. 

I will add it doesn't really matter what you choose as noted above, most schools look at highest score. You should be planning to retake either way though.

Green
  • Applicant
1 minute ago, Thrive92 said:

angry clint eastwood GIF

why would they do such a thing?

I cant speak on the other schools but for TRU you may need a better LSAT score. Even by 5 points the chances of you getting in goes up dramatically.

I am planning to do the test again, I was scoring higher on my pt’s than my mark. I was just wondering if there is any chance so I could alleviate some of the stress with the next test. 

1 minute ago, Kobe said:

There's always a small chance but not something to bet on. If you are applying next cycle and feel you could score better I would cancel and retake. If you already have apps in and want to see what happens with a 153 that won't really hurt you if decide to retake later. 

I will add it doesn't really matter what you choose as noted above, most schools look at highest score. You should be planning to retake either way though.

I am planning to retake in January. Just don’t know if I should cancel my score. Would not cancelling hurt my chances at all? Or are there any benefits to cancelling. 

Thrive92
  • Applicant
Just now, Green said:

I am planning to do the test again, I was scoring higher on my pt’s than my mark. I was just wondering if there is any chance so I could alleviate some of the stress with the next test. 

If there is any chance with a 153? probably not

With a higher LSAT score? It depends on the score fam

And cancelling will not hurt your chances at all unless you are on your 5th retake fam. At least one school dont really like that for some reason.

Edited by Thrive92

Green
  • Applicant
3 minutes ago, Thrive92 said:

If there is any chance with a 153? probably not

With a higher LSAT score? It depends on the score fam

And cancelling will not hurt your chances at all unless you are on your 5th retake fam. At least one school dont really like that for some reason.

Okay so basically, it makes no difference if I cancel or not ( it was my first time taking the test) but my chances are slim to none and I should retake. 

Thrive92
  • Applicant
Just now, Green said:

Okay so basically, it makes no difference if I cancel or not ( it was my first time taking the test) but my chances are slim to none and I should retake. 

Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

• Like 1

Whisk3yjack
  • Lawyer
12 hours ago, Green said:

It's almost impossible to predict who will get into Windsor. However, at your stats you are probably borderline at best without a solid social justice angle to your PS. Admissions last year were pretty competitive, even for Windsor and it seems like the current 1Ls had higher LSATs than when I started.

Edited by Whisk3yjack
Clarity

TheDevilIKnow
  • Lawyer

I usually don't weigh in on these threads as my admissions knowledge is no longer current, but I am popping in to emphatically point out that @Green has not told us what schools they are considering, and admissions formulae differ by school.

I don't know the number of schools that will hold this 153 LSAT against the OP, but I definitely know that it's not zero. The only school I'm personally aware of right now that averages all scores is Calgary, but there may be others of which I have less knowledge. So if Green is considering applying to UCalgary, just for example, this 153 will absolutely still count and will absolutely hurt them when scores are averaged later.

@Green, for this reason, please specify what schools you are actually considering. I definitely recommend you double-check their admissions formulae yourself, but letting us know what you're considering will help people to give you better advice. The consensus above, that your 153 definitely won't hurt you, is incorrect or at least incomplete. 

Thrive92
  • Applicant
3 minutes ago, TheDevilIKnow said:

The only school I'm personally aware of right now that averages all scores is Calgary

That may not be accurate. Are you sure you are not confusing calgary with alberta? (alberta recently stopped averaging lsat scores as well).

And @Green was considering these schools:

21 hours ago, Green said:

But yes I agree with you that OP should deffo double - check the admissions policies for the schools that they are interested in

AMG
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, Thrive92 said:

That may not be accurate. Are you sure you are not confusing calgary with alberta? (alberta recently stopped averaging lsat scores as well).

That is correct, Alberta and McGill were the only schools who averaged LSAT scores, but as of this cycle McGill is the only Canadian law school which averages LSAT scores.

https://www.lsac.org/choosing-law-school/find-law-school/canadian-law-schools

So OP, you have no reason to cancel your 153 as it will not be held against you unless you are interested in McGill. And who knows, maybe you'll get an acceptance somewhere before you write the LSAT again. Until then just keep grinding those practice tests, take it slow, and you'll get what you want!

Edited by AMG

TheDevilIKnow
  • Lawyer
22 minutes ago, Thrive92 said:

That may not be accurate. Are you sure you are not confusing calgary with alberta?

I'm not sure what source you are consulting, but the official website of the U of C law faculty states that "all of your scores from the past 5 years, your average score, and the number of times you have written the LSAT will be taken into account when reviewing your application."

If y'all are privy to information that the U of C has chosen not to publish on their admissions site, then more power to you, I guess. But from what I can see from official sources, my point stands. Even if I'm wrong, the (consequent) fact that the U of C site may also be wrong shows that it's good to be cautious.

26 minutes ago, Thrive92 said:

And @Green was considering these schools:

22 hours ago, Green said:

I think in the scheme of the post, read as a whole, it's worth checking thoroughly. 

AMG
  • Law Student
6 minutes ago, TheDevilIKnow said:

I'm not sure what source you are consulting, but the official website of the U of C law faculty states that "all of your scores from the past 5 years, your average score, and the number of times you have written the LSAT will be taken into account when reviewing your application."

If y'all are privy to information that the U of C has chosen not to publish on their admissions site, then more power to you, I guess. But from what I can see from official sources, my point stands. Even if I'm wrong, the (consequent) fact that the U of C site may also be wrong shows that it's good to be cautious.

I think in the scheme of the post, read as a whole, it's worth checking thoroughly. 

Yeah you're right, says they use highest score to group your file but assess it based on average score. Guess our reading skills need some improvement before next fall...

TheDevilIKnow
  • Lawyer
1 minute ago, AMG said:

says they use highest score to group your file but assess it based on average score.

I think a couple of others schools do this, too. The language is slippery if one doesn't read 'til the end of the sentence. But then, that's pretty good training for law. 😉

AMG
  • Law Student
7 minutes ago, TheDevilIKnow said:

I think a couple of others schools do this, too. The language is slippery if one doesn't read 'til the end of the sentence. But then, that's pretty good training for law. 😉

I should know by know universities are never clear in what they want! And it's never too early to start👀

Thrive92
  • Applicant
Just now, TheDevilIKnow said:

You literally quoted the entire paragraph about LSAT calculations from the website except for the very first sentence:

"If you have written the LSAT more than once, we will use your highest score to group your file statistically; however, all of your scores from the past 5 years, your average score, and the number of times you have written the LSAT will be taken into account when reviewing your application."

Also, although they "take into account" your average LSAT score, they take your highest LSAT score (source: 28:35 of the youtube admissions video from U of C law:

)

"Don't panic if you had written it (the LSAT) more than once: many many many people do..."

TheDevilIKnow
  • Lawyer
3 minutes ago, Thrive92 said:

You literally quoted the entire paragraph about LSAT calculations from the website except for the very first sentence:

"If you have written the LSAT more than once, we will use your highest score to group your file statistically; however, all of your scores from the past 5 years, your average score, and the number of times you have written the LSAT will be taken into account when reviewing your application."

I wasn't trying to be sneaky (not sure what my motive would be). The way I read that is that they use your highest LSAT to "group" your application into an order for review, but that all scores (implying an average) are then used when reviewing your application.

However, I agree that this is not consistent with the language in the video. If they are not using your additional scores to calculate an average, then I have no idea what they are using them for. I guess this is where the whole "Calgary is somewhat holistic, but it's not clear how much" comes in.

Thrive92
  • Applicant
Just now, TheDevilIKnow said:

I guess this is where the whole "Calgary is somewhat holistic, but it's not clear how much" comes in.

This.

I would reckon that unless you take 4 or 5 lsats, they really dont consider your LSAT average score as seriously as your highest score.