Who are your verifiers?

Bluelike

Bluelike
  • Applicant

I was wondering what people usually do for the two verifiers required for UVic app, because I'm having difficulty finding mine. 

As a bit of background I'm a 1.5 gen immigrant with barely any connections in canada, so I don't have any family friends who know much about my interests or activities. I've thought about asking my academic advisor (I'm still in my undergrad) or mentors from my student groups, but each of them is familiar with only a small portion of my extracurriculars. I have a few friends who know well about things I do, but I don't think I can use my friends as verifiers.

Is it normal to find this difficult? UVic makes me think there's something wrong with my social life...

• Like 1

sedardon
  • Law Student

Last year I did what they literally said not to do - I just put in the academic references who were supplying me with recommendation letters for my other apps. I got in early, too. So don't worry about this part too much. They just want people who can attest to the veracity of what you claim to have done, in broad strokes (did Bluelike actually go to this school? Did they actually participate in xyz activity?).

The people you mention would be fine. I re-checked the FAQ right now and it doesn't seem to specify that they need to be in Canada. Put your mom if you want. It just needs to be two people who won't go, "who is this person, I've never heard their name". Odds are that like in my case, the admissions team won't even call them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Renerik
  • Law Student

I put down one of my superiors at reserves and the second was a friend from undergrad.

None of them could vouch for my entire app, but would say "yup, that's Renerik" if they read my PS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bluelike
  • Applicant
1 hour ago, sedardon said:

Last year I did what they literally said not to do - I just put in the academic references who were supplying me with recommendation letters for my other apps. I got in early, too. So don't worry about this part too much. They just want people who can attest to the veracity of what you claim to have done, in broad strokes (did Bluelike actually go to this school? Did they actually participate in xyz activity?).

The people you mention would be fine. I re-checked the FAQ right now and it doesn't seem to specify that they need to be in Canada. Put your mom if you want. It just needs to be two people who won't go, "who is this person, I've never heard their name". Odds are that like in my case, the admissions team won't even call them. 

Thank you! This makes me feel better. I was worried having friends as verifiers would appear too informal, but revisiting the FAQ page, they don't exactly say I can't do this.