Please help OLSAS CGPA

Law_Hopeful

Law_Hopeful
  • Applicant

I’m really confused my OLSAS CGPA says it is 3.43 and when I calculated my CGPA it was 3.62. I was also a transfer student and I noticed they did not count my CGPA from my other university. (it is a fully credited university) so I am confused, do they just calculate your CGPA based on one university? Please help. I submitted both transcripts. 

• Like 1

scooter
  • Law Student

Not sure how it works in your situation but you should message OLSAS via SAM. Also, you can see the breakdown by going to the Academic Background section and clicking 'View' beside the name of each school.

Law_Hopeful
  • Applicant
Just now, scooter said:

Not sure how it works in your situation but you should message OLSAS via SAM. Also, you can see the breakdown by going to the Academic Background section and clicking 'View' beside the name of each school.

Yes I did that and I saw that they only accounted for 32 courses. And not add my other courses from the other university I went to. 

Avacado23
  • Applicant

Hi! I’m in the same boat my cgpa is. 3.78 but olsas calculated it as a 3.62. I’m also a transfer student!

This is what I found on olsas

”The OLSAS scale is a standardized 4.0 scale that allows law schools to evaluate your university education. Every school in Canada is translated onto the scale, which allows admissions officers to rely on the number generated by the scale in order to assess your academic performance fairly and consistently. You can calculate your own GPA using the OLSAS conversion chart, or you can use our calculation tool for a simpler experience. The OLSAS scale is not a typical 4.0 scale, so you will likely see a difference between your OLSAS GPA and your university-generated GPA.”

hope it helps!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2021 at 6:27 PM, Avacado23 said:

This is what I found on olsas […]

For clarity that excerpt you quoted is from the FAQ I wrote about OLSAS and not from an official source. Though my comment that the scale is different than the standard 4.0 scale is factually correct. Your university calculated GPA and the OLSAS GPA will likely be different. Provided that OLSAS didn’t make a mistake by not counting one or more of your courses, you can expect your OLSAS GPA to be lower than your university-calculated GPA. That’s just the way the scale works.