Extra year, extra credit

kebab

kebab
  • Applicant

Hello everyone, I'm a fourth year student that has applied to two Ontario law schools this cycle (Osgoode and UofT) and thankfully got accepted into Osgoode but I'm not so sure if my chances for UofT are that great because of my GPA that's slightly above the 25th percentile. My LSAT's 169 btw. Since my goal is to land a big law job, I really think going to UofT could make a difference even just a little. So I'm debating whether to take an additional year (5th year) and additional credits to boost my GPA up. So my question is, do you think the law school would look negatively upon the fact that I took an additional year? And when they view my transcript, would the 5th year be included in the best 3 years? I'm going to ask the law school about this as well but I just wanted to hear from you guys first. Thank you!

scooter
  • Law Student

Go to Osgoode if you don't get into UofT. Not going to sugar coat it — your idea is absurd. You will be able to get into big law by going to Osgoode, if that is your goal. Sure, maybe UofT has a slight advantage over Osgoode for big law recruit. But not such an advantage that you should turn down Osgoode to do another year of undergrad to try to get into UofT. 

I completely agree with scooter. I would literally give up my left arm to get a 169 and into Osgoode. You will be able to do big law if you go to Osgoode--don't do another year of undegrad.