1L Grades for Toronto Jobs

Hopefullawstudent99

Hopefullawstudent99

Hi everyone!

I am a current 1L at Western wondering what grades you need to secure a job for 2L recruit or for articling positions in Toronto. Not sure if this is relevant but I do want to go into environmental law. 

Thanks in advance! 

99problems
  • Lawyer

You can find students with low grades who have secured a position through 2L recruit. But the general consensus is that a B+ average should land you some interviews. After that, it's all on you and how you present yourself during interviews. I was never asked about my grades in interviews. Interviews are generally about showing your interest in the firm (by researching the firm and talking to some employees, etc.) and your interest in the firm's practice area(s), which is achieved through your course selection, clinical and voluntary work, maybe some good grades in related courses, and the like.

I completely understand your feelings at this moment, but there is nothing in your control after your grades are released. So I suggest instead of overthinking (I still do and it sucks), just apply to wherever that interests you and hope for the best.

Hopefullawstudent99

Thank you so much, do you think its possible to do badly on midterms (C+ ish) that are 25%-30% of your grade and still end up with a B+ average at the end? 

99problems
  • Lawyer
37 minutes ago, Hopefullawstudent99 said:

Thank you so much, do you think its possible to do badly on midterms (C+ ish) that are 25%-30% of your grade and still end up with a B+ average at the end? 

Has it happened before? Yes, it has. Is it something that happens often? I don't think so.

If you approach your finals the same way you approached your midterm, all other things being equal, you would end up with similar grades (maybe a bit higher or lower). Obviously, you need to make up for the lost marks. It means that you have to outperform your peers, i.e. to get an A or A+ in the finals.

Also, for 2L recruit, you will have your winter semester grades too. It means there is a whole semester of opportunity to make up for bad marks.

You probably would make another thread for it should 2L recruit didn't work out, but for now, just know that tons of opportunities will come after the formal recruit.

TobyFlenderson
  • Lawyer
6 hours ago, Hopefullawstudent99 said:

For what it’s worth, it’s far too early to be doomsdaying about your midterm grades. I understand why you’re doing it (I’ve been there!), but try not to.

You’re in the same boat as everyone else. Nobody knows how to write law school exams yet. In fact, it’s so early in the exam schedule that you’ve only written one so far, and so has everyone else.

Wait and see what your grades are to start worrying. And then remember that most, if not all, of your grades are worth much less than your finals. Save the stress and worry for May.

I know this is easier said than done, so here’s my advice:

Don’t talk about the exams after they’re written. Someone else might have identified an issue you didn’t, or applied a different test, and you’ll be stressed that you missed something (even though they might actually be the one who is wrong, and would probably be equally stressed hearing that you did something different).

Don’t go back over your notes after the exam is written. It’s not a good idea. You’ll see something you think you missed, or should have done differently, and stress yourself out (see above). It’s submitted. It’s unchangeable. Pretend it never happened. But, if you think you could have done something better that can be applied in time for the rest of your midterms, like organize notes differently, then keep that in mind and incorporate those changes.

Always look forward. If you’ve written criminal law, and you have constitutional law tomorrow, don’t spend the day beating yourself up over what’s already done. Refining your knowledge of criminal law will not help you on your other exams. If you can’t escape the stress, try to harness it. Let it motivate you to crush the next exam the best you can so you don’t spend the time after that one stressing about what’s already done when you should be looking at what’s up next.

It is too early to worry about the impact of 1L midterm grades on 2L jobs you won’t be applying to for almost a year — and doubly so for articling jobs you won’t be looking at until even later. Remember, by the time you’re looking for an articling job, you’ll have all your 1L grades and at least half of, if not all of, your 2L grades. Lots of time and opportunity to demonstrate growth and improvement if need be.

All this to say, essentially, relax. Everyone’s going through the same thing. The midterms are worth as little as they are for a reason. Don’t dwell on them. Look forward. Stay focused. You might just surprise yourself.

1L midterms can be a bit of a shock and are a stressful time, but you’ll be a pro before you know it. 

Good luck!

• Like 2