Why Have I not been rejected yet?

Goku560

Goku560
  • Applicant

Hi all,

I applied this cycle wrote LSAT in November for the first time got 143. I know I stand no real chance with this score and will be rejected but why have I not been rejected yet???

First round of offers are sent out surely they would had rejected me if they saw my 143 LSAT score. What do you guys think??

Thrive92
  • Applicant

If your question is to incite optimism about possibly being admitted to a law school, I got some bad news for you.

The rejection will sadly come, sooner or later. Idk which school you have applied to, but chances are most law schools are swamped in applications and they probably didnt come to yours yet.

As for your LSAT score, I am confused as to why you are not re - writing it on January? Many law schools (as a matter of fact, I think all but dont quote me) accept your January LSAT scores; all you need to do is call or email the law schools you have applied to and let them know that you will be re - writing in january.

Edit: Just realized that the deadline to apply for the January LSAT has passed, but I am asking why you haven't applied to re -write it to begin with?

Edited by Thrive92

scooter
  • Law Student

Schools don't send rejections until later in the cycle. For example, UofT doesn't send any rejections until after their final round of offers. The reason you haven't been rejected is that schools don't send rejections this early. 

Goku560
  • Applicant
58 minutes ago, Thrive92 said:

If your question is to incite optimism about possibly being admitted to a law school, I got some bad news for you.

The rejection will sadly come, sooner or later. Idk which school you have applied to, but chances are most law schools are swamped in applications and they probably didnt come to yours yet.

As for your LSAT score, I am confused as to why you are not re - writing it on January? Many law schools (as a matter of fact, I think all but dont quote me) accept your January LSAT scores; all you need to do is call or email the law schools you have applied to and let them know that you will be re - writing in january.

Edit: Just realized that the deadline to apply for the January LSAT has passed, but I am asking why you haven't applied to re -write it to begin with?

I am not rewriting in January because I know I will not improve much but instead I am going back to relearn the basics and to take it slow. I will re write in June/July once I start consistently scoring in my target range. I knew I wouldn't do good on November. I did everything from pressure from parents. They were pushy about applying this cycle. 

• Sad 1

Thrive92
  • Applicant
14 minutes ago, Goku560 said:

I did everything from pressure from parents. They were pushy about applying this cycle. 

Understandable, but are your parents pressuring you to pursue a law degree when you dont want to? Or just about applying this cycle

Goku560
  • Applicant
Just now, Thrive92 said:

Understandable, but are your parents pressuring you to pursue a law degree when you dont want to? Or just about applying this cycle

Its just about applying to this cycle. I know I can do the LSAT its not hard I just didn't had good foundation and basics since I rushed it for this cycle. But now I got the pressure off  and I can take it slow and easy

• Like 1

Thrive92
  • Applicant
Just now, Goku560 said:

Its just about applying to this cycle. I know I can do the LSAT its not hard I just didn't had good foundation and basics since I rushed it for this cycle. But now I got the pressure off  and I can take it slow and easy

No Problem Thumbs Up GIF

• LOL 1

owl12
  • Applicant
10 hours ago, Goku560 said:

Edited by owl12
  • LOL 1

Echoing what everyone else has said---I applied with a GPA that was even worse than your LSAT, and my rejections would roll in between January and April. Even if someone is a definite auto-reject, rejections just come later in the cycle.

I don't want to restart the argument about whether the LSAT is learnable or draws on natural aptitudes and skills, but I will caution you that it may be harder than you expect to improve on a 143. The first time I wrote a practice LSAT, cold, I had no idea what the LSAT even was or what kind of questions would be on it, and I scored in the 160s. Whatever you're talking about with regard to a "foundation" and "the basics" and "taking it slow and easy", that's not universal; a lot of people just have the skills and can apply them to the test, and those are the people you're competing with. So I wish you the best of luck, but don't assume it will be easy.

• Like 1

Piffle
  • Law Student

I’m afraid I agree with the above posters re: rejections. Think about it this way: there’s no incentive for adcomms to reject applicants promptly, even as a courtesy. They’d have nothing to lose by keeping those applicants around until the end of the cycle, for any number of reasons. It could be in case a spot opens up, and they’d rather have people to potentially fill them up than not. Perhaps adcomms would rather just focus their limited time and attention toward competitive applicants for now, to build the best possible class, and deal with rejections afterward since that’s the lessor priority.

Queen’s and Western during the last cycle, for example, didn’t start rejecting until mid/late into the winter term the following year. And speaking for myself, Osgoode only rejected me late into the winter term even though my stats were well below their median.

I’d also heed @Yogurt Baron's warning on being wary about the prospects of improving on the LSAT. Some people are capable of it, of course, but many others, myself included, clearly aren’t. I scored in the low 160s on my diagnostic. After months of studying, I scored a 162 on my actual LSAT. I studied for months again the next year for a re-write, and also had a "go back to basics" mentality. But for the life of me, I couldn’t improve beyond the low 160s so I gave up on doing the re-write. I'm not making any assumptions about you, but for people like me, there’s simply a natural ceiling on their talent.

In any event, good luck. You have a respectable GPA, and it's just the LSAT that's holding you back. I really hope you do well on it.

Edited by Piffle

22 hours ago, Goku560 said:

I am not rewriting in January because I know I will not improve much but instead I am going back to relearn the basics and to take it slow. I will re write in June/July once I start consistently scoring in my target range. I knew I wouldn't do good on November. I did everything from pressure from parents. They were pushy about applying this cycle. 

You may  consider hiring a tutor, Some tutors are on-line.

GreyDude
  • Law Student
On 12/13/2021 at 2:26 PM, Goku560 said:

Exactly. With this in mind, I'd say to just put your current applications behind you and focus on a future round (which doesn't even have to be 2022). This will allow you to take a positive approach. Based on what you have written I'm assuming you're pretty young, which means there is no rush. Another year or two won't hurt you, and might make all the difference. There's a lot of wisdom in recognizing that you need to go back to the basics and work out from there, taking the time that it takes. 

You can also take the time, if you like, to re-think law school (and law) in general, and whether it's what you really want to do. 

Edited by GreyDude