How does apply with access work? Low Gpa due to mental health issue.

Manchai

Manchai
  • Applicant

Had terrible first and second years, serious depression, and anxiety issues (long story blablabla). Terrible professors and few family issues etc. Barely survived my first two years of college. Roughly 3.1-3.2 cGPA and 3.8~ L2. 168 LSAT (likely to retake and aim for 170+). Here's the thing, I only have my medical document from other countries, and I am also not a Canadian citizen. So does the access application requires only Canadian medical document? And an even broader question, how does the access application works? Does that has special access or what?

And I feel like (correct me if I am wrong) that I still have a pretty good shape to those L2/B2 schools. If that so, should I just write an addendum letter instead? And not go for the access application. I have no dream school or target school, just happy any school would take me haha.

Depending on the school you want to go to you may not even need to apply access. Your L2 and LSAT are good enough to be competitive as a general applicant. That is assuming the grades are from a Canadian university and not international. You also said “college” but I assume you mean university since there is a distinction in Canada (with “college” being synonymous with junior college / community college in the US for example). 

If you want more information about access applications you have to look up the requirements for each school separately. Many schools don’t have access categories and have holistic admissions where they take into account your general circumstances. This can be equivalent to an access application but it’s not a separate process. Osgoode is one example. You’ll have to research each school without an access category on how you can include evidence of extenuating circumstances so that it can be considered when your application is being evaluated.  

So I’m addition to looking up what is necessary to apply in access, you’ll need to gather and provide your medical records. I don’t think it matters that the records are not from Canada. Your immigration status also generally doesn’t matter when you apply; all applicants are in the same pool and being international only affects your fees after you’re admitted. At least this is how it was back when I was applying but I’m not aware of any changes. 

Thrive92
  • Applicant
3 hours ago, Manchai said:

Had terrible first and second years, serious depression, and anxiety issues (long story blablabla). Terrible professors and few family issues etc. Barely survived my first two years of college. Roughly 3.1-3.2 cGPA and 3.8~ L2. 168 LSAT (likely to retake and aim for 170+). Here's the thing, I only have my medical document from other countries, and I am also not a Canadian citizen. So does the access application requires only Canadian medical document? And an even broader question, how does the access application works? Does that has special access or what?

And I feel like (correct me if I am wrong) that I still have a pretty good shape to those L2/B2 schools. If that so, should I just write an addendum letter instead? And not go for the access application. I have no dream school or target school, just happy any school would take me haha.

It really depends on the school that you are applying to fam.

When it comes to medical documents from overseas, I would give it a try and submit those (unless they are not in english, then you gotta have them translated).

Even a copy of your prescription history that you have taken in Canada with a doctor's signature on the bottom of the page may be enough.

I would highly recommend you to apply for access regardless of your competitive stats; for some law schools (ex: UBC), if you apply access and you are competitive enough for the regular category, they would admit you in the regular category.

Good luck fam

• Hugs 1

Manchai
  • Applicant
2 hours ago, Ryn said:

Depending on the school you want to go to you may not even need to apply access. Your L2 and LSAT are good enough to be competitive as a general applicant. That is assuming the grades are from a Canadian university and not international. You also said “college” but I assume you mean university since there is a distinction in Canada (with “college” being synonymous with junior college / community college in the US for example). 

If you want more information about access applications you have to look up the requirements for each school separately. Many schools don’t have access categories and have holistic admissions where they take into account your general circumstances. This can be equivalent to an access application but it’s not a separate process. Osgoode is one example. You’ll have to research each school without an access category on how you can include evidence of extenuating circumstances so that it can be considered when your application is being evaluated.  

So I’m addition to looking up what is necessary to apply in access, you’ll need to gather and provide your medical records. I don’t think it matters that the records are not from Canada. Your immigration status also generally doesn’t matter when you apply; all applicants are in the same pool and being international only affects your fees after you’re admitted. At least this is how it was back when I was applying but I’m not aware of any changes. 

Wow, thank you. That's really helpful. And Indeed I went to U.S college , I don't know there's a distinction before haha.