Is it common to get hired back for articling w/ big law?

lawjunkie

lawjunkie
  • Law Student

I got a job during the 2L recruit with an international/big sister firm. It is a summer student position and my contract states May-August. How likely is it that I will be hired back for articling? Super nervous that I will have to participate in the articling recruit and my grades may not be as high as they were for the 2L recruit. Any advice? experiences? Much appreciated and happy holidays! 

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
33 minutes ago, lawjunkie said:

I got a job during the 2L recruit with an international/big sister firm. It is a summer student position and my contract states May-August. How likely is it that I will be hired back for articling? Super nervous that I will have to participate in the articling recruit and my grades may not be as high as they were for the 2L recruit. Any advice? experiences? Much appreciated and happy holidays! 

The entire purpose of the 2L summer recruit is for these firms not to have to hire during the articling recruit.

• Like 2

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
59 minutes ago, lawjunkie said:

an international/big sister firm

I really hope one of the international firms has started calling itself a "big sister" to make law students think it's better than the sisters. 

But yeah, so long as you don't end up being completely toxic in a way that draws the firm's attention, you will get brought back for articling. Even complete screw ups are almost certain to get brought back for articling. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

lawjunkie
  • Law Student
54 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

I really hope one of the international firms has started calling itself a "big sister" to make law students think it's better than the sisters. 

But yeah, so long as you don't end up being completely toxic in a way that draws the firm's attention, you will get brought back for articling. Even complete screw ups are almost certain to get brought back for articling. 

Thank you! Sorry, I just didn't know what to call the firm so I went with the common phrases I see on this forum hahaha  

• Nom! 1