UManitoba strike transcript delay

rinse-repeat

rinse-repeat
  • Law Student

Just throwing this out there.

Anyone else a U of M student, in their last year of undergrad and applying to law schools this cycle? Or has been in a similar situation? Several schools I am applying to don't want transcripts until they reflect fall term grades...meanwhile, at the University of Manitoba, fall term ends near the end of January due to the faculty strike stopping the term for 5 weeks. Transcript due dates for some schools range from sometime in January to mid-February, and I don't know if my fall grades will be final even by mid-February. I've emailed all the schools and hope this can be accommodated, but I can't help but feel this is fucking me over a tad for those schools. Maybe I'm catastrophizing. Mainly annoyed I have nearly a month of fall term classes in January, plus the time it takes for final grades to be submitted and approved, while people at other schools will be done with their documents.

I'm 100% for worker's rights, but this kind of collateral damage sucks. 

Edited by rinse-repeat
adding

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

To use your words, I think you're catastrophizing a bit (although to be honest, this post seems pretty level-headed).

Schools are in the habit of selecting the best students they can, so they are not going to rule you out or really disadvantage you based on your updated transcripts being delayed. So long as you have sent them an email clearly explaining the situation and you forward them a new transcript promptly, you shouldn't have issues. 

The only thing I would consider doing that you have not mentioned is emailing the schools an unofficial transcript once you have all your grades, assuming the schools want official hard copies. I would just attach a copy to an email, explain the situation again, and then say that you have ordered a transcript through your school and they can expect the hard copy within X days. 

Best of luck! 

• Thanks 1

rinse-repeat
  • Law Student
14 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

To use your words, I think you're catastrophizing a bit (although to be honest, this post seems pretty level-headed).

Schools are in the habit of selecting the best students they can, so they are not going to rule you out or really disadvantage you based on your updated transcripts being delayed. So long as you have sent them an email clearly explaining the situation and you forward them a new transcript promptly, you shouldn't have issues. 

The only thing I would consider doing that you have not mentioned is emailing the schools an unofficial transcript once you have all your grades, assuming the schools want official hard copies. I would just attach a copy to an email, explain the situation again, and then say that you have ordered a transcript through your school and they can expect the hard copy within X days. 

Best of luck! 

Thank you! I didn't think of sending them an unofficial transcript, so I will be definitely doing that while I wait for official copies to reach them.