Advice for new law students

JudgingJudy

JudgingJudy
  • Law School Admit

Recently got accepted- and I am over the moon. 

But now that I’ve climbed past that mountain - I am sure that my future has more mountains to come. 

I would really like some wisdom and input on what I can do to be better prepared for 1L. 

Any videos to watch, books to read, things to invest in, steps to take. Please help me out. Thank you! 

• Like 2

Congrats! I would say practice typing. I think that is one of the most important skills for taking notes and writing exams. Otherwise, relax and enjoy what freedom you have left. It is a long journey ahead. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Phaedrus
  • Lawyer
5 hours ago, JudgingJudy said:

Any videos to watch, books to read, things to invest in, steps to take. Please help me out. Thank you! 

Videos: Anything non-law related

Books to read: Anything non-law related

Things to invest in: Healthy habits and your mental health

On a more serious note, congrats on the acceptance but please do not let yourself get carried away with "how to prepare". The purpose of law school is less about teaching the substance of law (beyond basic principles and legislation) and more about the ability to read, digest, and apply the law to fact patterns. IMO, it's best not to try to "get ahead of the curve" by potentially teaching your irrelevant material and developing unhelpful/detrimental legal reading habits. Believe me, you'll have your fair share of reading to do in law school; it's best to enjoy the freedom you have while you have it. 

I wish I spent more time before 1L developing healthy habits. Exercise, regular eating, mental health check-ins. You should spend your time enjoying time with friends and family, reading the books and watching the videos that make you happy, learning how to make a few good meals, and getting yourself in an exercise routine. If you wait until exam-period, it's too late. 

Oh, and practice humility. People remember the jerks who act like they're God's gift to the law school and better than their friends/family who aren't accepted to/going to/went to law school. A lot of people helped you get to where you are, and there's no better time than now to express your gratitude for their help and guidance.  

Good luck!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2