Which ontario law schools allow 3rd yr applicants to apply?

insidiousmaster

insidiousmaster
  • Applicant

I know UofA and UBC are two of them

But what are the remaining ones?

Which in ontario?

Also please nobody say "wait till you have your degree done", I want to apply as a 3rd yr and i have done my research

insidiousmaster
  • Applicant
Just now, BlockedQuebecois said:

If you’ve done your research, shouldn’t you know the answer to your question? 

Sorry I meant research about which YEAR i want to apply in.

Havent done as much research about schools specifically, however I will be doing that soon.

Just wanted to get a potential list incase people already knew

Whist
  • Law Student

Which ontario law schools allow 3rd yr applicants to apply?

10 minutes ago, insidiousmaster said:

I know UofA and UBC are two of them

UBC and UofA are not in Ontario, but I could be wrong...

Aside from those, I think UofM accepts some students without a full degree. 

insidiousmaster
  • Applicant
3 minutes ago, Whist said:

UBC and UofA are not in Ontario, but I could be wrong...

Aside from those, I think UofM accepts some students without a full degree. 

UBC is in British Columbia and UofA are in Alberta.

The title was originally which schools accept 3 year applications

But i changed it to Ontario to get more ontario specific answers

Renerik
  • Law Student

OP, I remember you asking this same question many times on the discord before I banned you there for trolling/incivility. Just a warning not to repeat the same behavior on the forum. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

Whist
  • Law Student
10 minutes ago, insidiousmaster said:

UBC is in British Columbia and UofA are in Alberta.

The title was originally which schools accept 3 year applications

But i changed it to Ontario to get more ontario specific answers

I had no idea the University of British Columbia and the University of Alberta were in British Columbia and Alberta. I was wondering why I couldn't see the CN Tower from here.

Except Windsor, to my knowledge all Ontario schools will only take you with a full degree. 

• LOL 1

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
13 minutes ago, Whist said:

I had no idea the University of British Columbia and the University of Alberta were in British Columbia and Alberta. I was wondering why I couldn't see the CN Tower from here.

Except Windsor, to my knowledge all Ontario schools will only take you with a full degree. 

Almost none of the Ontario schools absolutely require a full degree be obtained for admissions?

Whist
  • Law Student
29 minutes ago, Rashabon said:

Almost none of the Ontario schools absolutely require a full degree be obtained for admissions?

Based off the link that BirdsArentReal posted, it says three years being complete is the minimum but four years is preferred. I assumed that meant you'd have to have three years to look at prior to being evaluated, but I may be misunderstanding. 

Pecan Boy
  • Articling Student
18 minutes ago, Whist said:

Based off the link that BirdsArentReal posted, it says three years being complete is the minimum but four years is preferred. I assumed that meant you'd have to have three years to look at prior to being evaluated, but I may be misunderstanding. 

Nope, I know people in my class who went to law school immediately following their 3rd year of undergrad.

It's been a very long time and my situation was unique, so I'm hesitant to say anything, but if I could only impart a handful of lessons to potential law applicants, one would be that you have to be fucking great to get in without a degree. Most schools leave the option open that they'll take students without a degree, but it's not at all the norm to actually get in without a four-year degree. As someone who talked himself into spending thousands and thousands of dollars on law school applications without a degree on the grounds that, hey, it says right here on the website that you can get in without a degree, I wish I hadn't done that, and I wouldn't advise most people to do that. 

21 minutes ago, Yogurt Baron said:

It's been a very long time and my situation was unique, so I'm hesitant to say anything, but if I could only impart a handful of lessons to potential law applicants, one would be that you have to be fucking great to get in without a degree. Most schools leave the option open that they'll take students without a degree, but it's not at all the norm to actually get in without a four-year degree. As someone who talked himself into spending thousands and thousands of dollars on law school applications without a degree on the grounds that, hey, it says right here on the website that you can get in without a degree, I wish I hadn't done that, and I wouldn't advise most people to do that. 

I think OP was asking about people who apply in 3rd year and get in, not people without any university education at all.

I believe many (most?) Ontario schools do not require an undergrad so long as you have at least 3 years of your undergrad completed. As for your ability to get in with only 3 years versus those who have a completed undergrad: it's harder but not impossible. There were at least two people I knew in my section (groups of ~70 students) at Osgoode who applied and got in after their 3rd year. But the vast majority of people will have a completed undergrad (and many will have master's degrees). It's generally more difficult to get in with only 3 years because you have one fewer year to offset any less than competitive grades you might have had in your first year, as many people tend to do as they transition into university life. That said, if you did well in all of your years, and you are generally competitive compared to your 4th year colleagues, you probably have a decent shot at admission all other things being equal.

Now getting in without a degree or university experience at all -- I can't speak for other schools but Osgoode does allow it if you are a mature applicant and have sufficient work experience. This is incredibly difficult and I believe only one person in my whole year got in without any university at all, and she was in her 50s and had a ton of career experience. But anyway, that's not what OP asked about. This is just expounding on what @Yogurt Baron was saying.

• Like 1

insidiousmaster
  • Applicant
On 12/21/2021 at 12:43 PM, Renerik said:

OP, I remember you asking this same question many times on the discord before I banned you there for trolling/incivility. Just a warning not to repeat the same behavior on the forum. 

Yeah I think you have the wrong person?

Ive never used discord before haha

Whist
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, insidiousmaster said:

Yeah I think you have the wrong person?

Ive never used discord before haha

Are you using the same name as that Discord troll for posterity’s sake, then? 

Jbens
  • Law School Admit

Most schools, im applying in my third year as a mature student and I have applied to almost every school in Ontario and Dalhousie.