Should I delay going to law school for 1 more year to get my CPA?

FireOrICE

FireOrICE
  • Applicant

Do you think it's worth delaying going to law school for 1 more year to get your CPA while working at a big 4 firm?

I I know having a CPA won't help in finding law jobs (besides tax law), but maybe it will open more doors if I want to pivot out of law 5 to 8 years later? I guess it can also be a safety net if law school doesn't work out.

But ofc, the opportunity cost is that I delay law school for 1 extra year (I'll be 27 by then) and the added stress of studying for the CPA exam, working at a stressful job that I know I am not interested in, etc. 

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

I don't think anyone can answer this question for you except yourself. It would be a soft factor and possibly assist in finding tax or corporate law jobs. It does open more doors down the road if you ever want to pivot in house and then into the C-suite. I know a former partner who left to go in house as general counsel and is now CFO on top of being GC. He had his CPA before starting his law career.

But it's not necessary to get a career as a lawyer going in any particular area, so you need to weigh the above against your desire to get your law career going.

• Like 1

Darth Vader
  • Lawyer
42 minutes ago, FireOrICE said:

Do you think it's worth delaying going to law school for 1 more year to get your CPA while working at a big 4 firm?

I I know having a CPA won't help in finding law jobs (besides tax law), but maybe it will open more doors if I want to pivot out of law 5 to 8 years later? I guess it can also be a safety net if law school doesn't work out.

But ofc, the opportunity cost is that I delay law school for 1 extra year (I'll be 27 by then) and the added stress of studying for the CPA exam, working at a stressful job that I know I am not interested in, etc. 

You are this guy, aren't you? I've seen this same question posted on Reddit a lot these past few months. 

If you are this person, look, just do both so you don't have any "what ifs". Law is not going anywhere. 

If you are not this person, then take time to read through their posts and the comments they've received, because their situation sounds similar to yours.

scooter
  • Law Student
49 minutes ago, FireOrICE said:

But ofc, the opportunity cost is that I delay law school for 1 extra year (I'll be 27 by then)

1 year is not a long time in the grand scheme of things.

49 minutes ago, FireOrICE said:

the added stress of studying for the CPA exam, working at a stressful job that I know I am not interested in, etc. 

Added stress shouldn't really be a factor in your decision. Law school is also going to be stressful, so it's not like you're reducing your stress levels by forgoing your CPA.

Personally, I would just finish the CPA.