2L courses that helped you for your summering at big law

lawjunkie

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

Business organizations could be helpful just for the terminology. Otherwise, if you're doing litigation, a writing and research course. But that's about it. The practice of law and the study of law are very different.

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer

Aboriginal law was quite helpful for me, if you have a seminar course or something similar that goes into more depth than the basic SCC cases.

If you are going to do any form of litigation, a good civ pro course (and from what I've heard, they are not all good, though the one I took was) would help you get your bearings much more quickly.

MapleLeafs
  • Law Student
15 minutes ago, Kid Presentable said:

civ pro helpful for litigation files

At Oz we already took Civ Pro in 1L. Is Civ pro 2 recommended? 

Kid Presentable
22 minutes ago, MapleLeafs said:

At Oz we already took Civ Pro in 1L. Is Civ pro 2 recommended? 

At my school civ pro was a mandatory upper year course (and to my knowledge there is no civ pro 2) so I can't really speak to specifics, but if you're set on litigation as a career I'd say that generally the more you know about civ pro the better.

25 minutes ago, Kid Presentable said:

if you're set on litigation as a career I'd say that generally the more you know about civ pro the better.

Yeah. It's not 100% needed, and you'll learn everything you need to know at a firm, but you'll have a good head start if you're familiar with the Rules and the procedure, the flow of a claim, and the different diversions/evidence gathering steps.

The courses that helped were the ones which happened to relate to the topics I was asked to write make-work memos about. It is hard to predict what if any course will relate to the memos you may be asked to do, but it isn’t hard to know what ones won’t relate. (Ie crim 2 or a pure legal theory class is very unlikely to be of assistance). 

With that in mind you can create a schedule more likely to assist, but I wouldn’t worry too much about it. If you really want to take some legal theory course, go for it. Just try and take evidence, civ pro, business, and trusts before graduation.