Alberta 1L Recruit- What is a competitive GPA?

zillenialtrash

zillenialtrash
  • Law Student

BC law student, Alberta raised. Wondering if anyone here has participated in the Alberta 1L recruit and what your grades were like if you were successful? Just got my midterm marks back and didn't do as well as I had hoped. Ended up with a B gpa and am wondering whether it is even worth it to try for the 1L recruit in YEG/ YYC.

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
4 minutes ago, zillenialtrash said:

BC law student, Alberta raised. Wondering if anyone here has participated in the Alberta 1L recruit and what your grades were like if you were successful? Just got my midterm marks back and didn't do as well as I had hoped. Ended up with a B gpa and am wondering whether it is even worth it to try for the 1L recruit in YEG/ YYC.

You're not out of the running and it's worth it to apply, but odds aren't in your favour. Hope for the best, expect the worst.

It also matters what school you go to.

Edited by CleanHands

zillenialtrash
  • Law Student
1 minute ago, CleanHands said:

You're not out of the running and it's worth it to apply, but odds aren't in your favour. Hope for the best, expect the worst.

It also matters what school you go to.

Thats what I thought. I'll give it a go but am not going to put much stock into it. Thanks!  

LionelHutz
  • Law Student
5 hours ago, zillenialtrash said:

FWIW, I know a couple friends from last year who obtained 1L recruit positions in Edmonton and Calgary with a ~B average. 

That being said, they all had previous careers/other significant items on their resumes. 

It is still worth applying. If nothing else, it will provide some practice writing cover letters, resumes, and potentially interviewing.