Chance me cGPA:3.95 LSAT:154

atticus115

atticus115
  • Applicant

Hello everyone! I've applied for September 2022 to Lakehead (access cagegory), Queen's (access category), Western (access category), uOttawa (access category), Osgoode (probably a long shot), UofT (probably a long shot). My LSAT is 154, my cGPA is 3.95, and my best/last years of undergrad are 3.97 and 3.96. I also received two academic scholarships, which are included in my autobiographical sketch. 

I am currently registered to write the January and Febrary LSATs, which I've indicated on OLSAS, but my LSAT practice has me very discouraged, as I'm scoring either below or at my current score. I am most concerned for the January LSAT, since it is the last administration that UofT and Osgoode accept. Is there any downside to taking the January test if I score below my original score?

Your input is much appreciated! Thanks!

Federale
  • Applicant

Absolutely there's gonna be some downsides, and if you still have time I'd probably cancel the February one as well. You can only write the test 3 times within a calendar year and 5 times within a five year testing period, and 7 times maximum. If you botch the Jan/Feb tests by scoring lower or at your present score, you're only giving yourself one opportunity to improve your score for the next cycle if you were to hypothetically not make it this year.Also, law schools make note of how many times you've written the test and the trends in your score, so take that as you will.

I'm not too sure about how it would work if you've already indicated on OLSAS that you're taking the Feb test then cancel it, but I think there's an option where maybe you can adjust the date. I don't think most of the schools you listed even take the February score, so maybe it's a blessing in disguise so that you can take the extra time you need to better master the LSAT. Your GPA is pretty stellar so you're halfway there already, just gotta grind a bit more and get your LSAT in a more competitive range. Hope it works out for you

• Like 1

atticus115
  • Applicant
1 hour ago, Federale said:

Absolutely there's gonna be some downsides, and if you still have time I'd probably cancel the February one as well. You can only write the test 3 times within a calendar year and 5 times within a five year testing period, and 7 times maximum. If you botch the Jan/Feb tests by scoring lower or at your present score, you're only giving yourself one opportunity to improve your score for the next cycle if you were to hypothetically not make it this year.Also, law schools make note of how many times you've written the test and the trends in your score, so take that as you will.

I'm not too sure about how it would work if you've already indicated on OLSAS that you're taking the Feb test then cancel it, but I think there's an option where maybe you can adjust the date. I don't think most of the schools you listed even take the February score, so maybe it's a blessing in disguise so that you can take the extra time you need to better master the LSAT. Your GPA is pretty stellar so you're halfway there already, just gotta grind a bit more and get your LSAT in a more competitive range. Hope it works out for you

Are suggesting that I withdraw from both the January and Febraury LSAT administrations? The final LSAT for UoT, Osgoode, and Lakehead is January, whereas the Febrary administration is the final LSAT that Queen's and Western will accept. I'm unsure about uOttawa, however. 

Federale
  • Applicant
21 minutes ago, atticus115 said:

Are suggesting that I withdraw from both the January and Febraury LSAT administrations? The final LSAT for UoT, Osgoode, and Lakehead is January, whereas the Febrary administration is the final LSAT that Queen's and Western will accept. I'm unsure about uOttawa, however. 

If they're willing to give you your money back or let you write the test at a later date for free that's what I would do if I were you. Realistically, even if you get lucky and score a couple points higher than what you're practising, the score you end up with won't be competitive nor move the needle too much. Give yourself the necessary time you need to make tangible progress, and then write the test with the confidence that you'll increase your score, something that's evidently absent in your situation.

In saying that, because your GPA is so high, you may still get into Lakehead and Ottawa, so rewriting down the road may not even be necessary unless your goal is to get into a better school next cycle

Renerik
  • Law Student
3 hours ago, Federale said:

3 times within a calendar

Close, it's 3 times in a testing year, which begins in July and ends in June. 

• Thanks 1

LordBONSAI
  • Applicant

Retaking or not depends on where you set your goals. If you just wanna get into any schools in Ontario, your stats right now look good for Lakehead and Ottawa and I don't see the point of rewriting. Likewise, a couple of points north of 154 won't make a substantial difference for UofT or Oz. The scenario where it's worth shooting the shot imo is that you're targeting at Queens or Western. Then getting close to 160 will likely be a game changer. 

lawandordermaker
  • Law Student
On 1/12/2022 at 10:23 PM, atticus115 said:

To add to what Fedale said, you can change the date 10 days before the test for 125 and plead a case to have that waived. I'd let writing the February test push me to improve for the next 20 days and if you haven't made enough progress then rebook. You might be able to make progress on LG in the next 20 days if thats what's holding you back, maybe focus on that. It wouldn't be bad to write the February LSAT. You could still write in June and August or Augest and October then next January if you need to apply next cycle. ( I think ) 

Edited by lawandordermaker

atticus115
  • Applicant

Thank you for your response. I am no longer taking the January LSAT, and am focusing my efforts on February's administration. Would my application under the access category affect my chances at all, even at my current score?