Housing

CreativeUserName

CreativeUserName
  • Applicant

I've been accepted to Osgoode, still waiting to hear back from UBC and U of T. Either way, a move to Toronto or Vancouver is on the cards for me, two places that aren't exactly known for housing affordability. Some quick searches on Kijiji, Padmapper, and Zumper confirm my fears....shit's gonna be expensive. Current students, what are your living arrangements like? Should I consider on campus living? Future students, anyone share the same concerns?

• Like 1

OntheVerge
  • Lawyer

Well, for Osgoode, lots of my classmates did their first year on campus, then moved off-campus for 2L. On campus is very convenient, obviously. Not only to getting to your classes with no commute (which can be important if you're worried about the workload), but for all the on-campus activities that occur outside of the usual class hours. It's a lot easier to finish your last class at 3:00 p.m., walk home for a few hours, then walk back over to an evening lecture or group meeting or meet up with friends at the on-campus pub. There are always a lot of live-on-campus students at the library late at night so there's a sense of camaraderie. A downside is getting groceries can be a pain unless you have a car.

Then once you're in the city, it's easier to secure housing for 2L. You'll have met other people looking to move out, so being roommates is an option when finding a place off-campus to make it more affordable. Now that the subway runs to campus, there's more options for finding places to live slightly further but still a reasonable commute. It's also easier to check out the areas to see if they'll be a good fit. Llots of upper year students end up in the Bathurst-St.Clair area, or a bit further down the line.

VitalGiraffe
  • Law Student

I'm in the same boat as you @CreativeUserName. I followed @OntheVerge and other Osgoode students' advice and applied for Osgoode Chambers. You can apply before you even accept the offer (I haven't yet). It's also free to apply for Osgoode students and there is already a waitlist. I'd apply ASAP and if you decide to take a different offer, no harm done.

Edited by VitalGiraffe

karatelaw1
  • Law School Admit
1 hour ago, VitalGiraffe said:

I'm in the same boat as you @CreativeUserName. I followed @OntheVerge and other Osgoode students' advice and applied for Osgoode Chambers. You can apply before you even accept the offer (I haven't yet). It's also free to apply for Osgoode students and there is already a waitlist. I'd apply ASAP and if you decide to take a different offer, no harm done.

Oh I thought in the acceptance package it says that "you need to have firmly accepted your offer of admission to the law school before applying for on-campus housing." But you were able to apply without accepting at all?

toro-nigiri
  • Applicant

Not a law student yet but I did my undergrad at UBC and was a residence advisor there for many years so I can speak to their on-campus housing. In a nutshell, it's hard to secure and can be expensive. I'd apply as soon as possible. If you get an offer for one of the newer buildings (Ponderosa, Brock, Exchange), they're excellent and I'd take it. Otherwise I would look to off-campus, personally.

VitalGiraffe
  • Law Student
6 hours ago, karatelaw1 said:

Oh I thought in the acceptance package it says that "you need to have firmly accepted your offer of admission to the law school before applying for on-campus housing." But you were able to apply without accepting at all?

I never saw that. I spoke with the housing people over the phone and they told me that you don't have to accept to apply.

karatelaw1
  • Law School Admit
1 hour ago, VitalGiraffe said:

I never saw that. I spoke with the housing people over the phone and they told me that you don't have to accept to apply.

oh ok thanks for the info, thats good to know!

Megjackson
  • Law Student

I live near Vancouver. If you go to ubc expect to pay a ridiculous amount for rent if you intend to stay in the city. Your probably better off looking in neighboring cities like Port moody. I think the average rent for a 1 bedroom in Vancouver is $2,500 range? 

fingerscrossed
  • Law School Admit

Hi! Current UBC undergrad student here! 

Housing is really expensive in Vancouver, especially if you want to live alone. Most of my friends share apartments off campus. I only know a few people still living on campus. It's definitely rare to live on campus after 1st year in undergrad because it can be so expensive. There might be a couple cheaper buildings in Uni Village but Wesbrook and at the bus loop are quite expensive from what I have seen. 

I have a friend whose rent is about 900/person for a two bedroom basement suite ~15 minute bus away from campus. I have another friend living in a shared luxury apartment in Kits for 1,500 a month with a private bathroom. Another friend lives with 3 others and pays 600/month for a house ~10 minutes away from campus in Kits. So it really depends on whether you are willing to have roommates/how many. UBC has some facebook groups that often have cheaper shared apartments up for rent. 

That being said, I did manage to find a basement suite on Dunbar near King Ed. on Facebook for myself at 750/month - so they do exist (though they seem to be really really rare). 

I think most people I know found their places on Facebook so I definitely recommend joining some local groups if you're on the hunt for a place in Vancouver.

If you're looking to live somewhere outside Vancouver that's a bit cheaper, I would recommend checking places that connect to the Canada line (eg. Richmond) or SkyTrain (Burnaby), 99 bus or another express route. 

Good neighbourhoods to check out might be: Kitsilano, Point Grey, Dunbar, Kerrisdale, Richmond (near the Canada line stations), Burnaby (Metrotown area isn't a bad commute), Main street, and Commercial Drive. 

Hope this is helpful!