LSAT 171, WES gpa- 3.73

Internationaljd

Darth Vader
  • Lawyer
3 minutes ago, Internationaljd said:

I have not heard back from Osgoode and UBC. Is there still hope?

This is a weird question. It's only January and schools make offers until September...

Internationaljd
  • Applicant

TBH I thought that my stats were competitive and I would be able to get in early. I had applied early October and have seen people who had applied in November getting accepted.  Also I may not have much time as the visa processing would take around 3 to 4 months so getting an offer after March would be a no go for me. 

Edited by Internationaljd
  • Sad 1

LordBONSAI
  • Applicant
1 hour ago, Internationaljd said:

TBH I thought that my stats were competitive and I would be able to get in early. I had applied early October and have seen people who had applied in November getting accepted.  Also I may not have much time as the visa processing would take around 3 to 4 months so getting an offer after March would be a no go for me. 

There's no clear correlation between having competitive stats and getting in by January. As a point of reference, last cycle many applicants with above-median stats heard back in the second round (which typically takes place from January to March). Plus I would hardly call this time 'late', since it's not even half way into the cycle. Most decisions won't be made until the end of January as law schools need time to process all the applications, receive updated transcripts and LSAT, read PS, and rate ECs. They don't just catch a glimpse at your numbers and let you in, otherwise there's no point of appointing a whole committee to review your app. For visa application, I think you can always contact the school's international office for assistance.

Edited by LordBONSAI
  • Thanks 1

soundofconfusion
  • Law Student
25 minutes ago, LordBONSAI said:

There's no clear correlation between having competitive stats and getting in by January. As a point of reference, last cycle many applicants with above-median stats heard back in the second round (which typically takes place from January to March). Plus I would hardly call this time 'late', since it's not even half way into the cycle. Most decisions won't be made until the end of January as law schools need time to process all the applications, receive updated transcripts and LSAT, read PS, and rate ECs. They don't just catch a glimpse at your numbers and let you in, otherwise there's no point of appointing a whole committee to review your app. For visa application, I think you can always contact the school's international office for assistance.

While I'd agree with most of this, @Ryn did mention in his archived LS.CA AMA on Osgoode admissions that "The admissions officers receive the files and mark them into three categories: presumed admit, forward for consideration, auto decline. The presumed admit threshold is based solely on grades and test scores (I won't say what the threshold is because I don't think it's public information, and I also think it changes year to year based on the pool's competitiveness). If you reach the level in both LSAT and GPA, other than briefly reading over your file to make sure there isn't some major problem related to something other than your stats, you'll get an offer. This is usually the first round of acceptances that go out."

It's very possible that things may have changed in this regard between the time he was on the committee and the present, especially given the impact of Covid on pretty much everything, and it's possible I'm missing something super-obvious or misunderstanding what he said, but it sounds like " catch[ing] a glimpse at your numbers and let[ting] you in" is essentially how it worked for Oz's first round of acceptances at the time, at the very least. It's also tough to extrapolate from last cycle because that one was a crazy historically competitive anomaly (though this one is probably also significantly more competitive than the norm, so many assumptions based on it may still hold water).

Edited by soundofconfusion
Minor formatting and some clarification
  • Thanks 1

LordBONSAI
  • Applicant
28 minutes ago, soundofconfusion said:

While I'd agree with most of this, @Ryn did mention in his archived LS.CA AMA on Osgoode admissions that "The admissions officers receive the files and mark them into three categories: presumed admit, forward for consideration, auto decline.

Looks like UBC's auto admissions system before they started to put more emphasis on PS in recent cycles. Still, it's interesting to know this fact. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2022 at 12:08 PM, Ryn said:

@soundofconfusion is correct: that’s how it worked when I was on the committee. But that was before COVID so who knows how things have changed now. 

Does OP's foreign student statuis have any impact on his chances/timing of admission?

I found that (other Ontario schools) some foreign students with very competitive stats didn't get an offer until later in the cycle.

10 hours ago, luckycharm said:

Does OP's foreign student statuis have any impact on his chances/timing of admission?

I found that (other Ontario schools) some foreign students with very competitive stats didn't get an offer until later in the cycle.

I can’t speak for other schools but at Osgoode I wasn’t aware of foreign status affecting anything. Though to be honest I never asked and we just received files as given to us by the admin officers. It’s possible they may have prioritized domestic students but this was not an official policy (if it even happened in the first place).